cocker with one testicle

martindd

Well he's soon to be a year old and the 2nd testicle is still nowhere to be seen...

vets advised me to wait till a year old to neuter as it would be easier to find, anyone have any experience of this? I feel I'd like to wait a little longer for him to develop, which is what I've done with other dogs but the vet seems keen.

Funny thing is I've had both my bitches (borders) speed as I wanted to leave him intact😂

Cheers Martin

I had this problem with my red setter. We didn't want him neutered as it can wreck setters coats leaving them woolley and orange. We had Logan operated on to remove the undescended testicle and a vascectomy was performed on the descended testicle. He still has all the hormones of an intact dog, but is incapable of breeding and passing on what is most likely a genetic defect. This also stops the predisposition of neutered dogs for weight gain.

There is a increased risk of testicular cancer if an undescended testicle is left in place.

Sometimes it can be a physical problem and the cord of one testicle is caught up somewhere. If genetic it is often caused by a shortened cord not allowing the testicle to descend.

I have a border terrier cross who had this problem too. He was neutered at 18 months and the 2nd testicle was inside the body too.

Edited by loriusgarrulus

There is a increased risk of testicular cancer if an undescended testicle is left in place.

nearly right but not quite right,

my springer only had one testicle that had dropped, I did not find this out until I took him to the vet for stitches in a cut,he is nearly 23 months old and has just had his operation yesterday, I told them I was not going to breed from him so they have removed one testical from the sack and the other testical was up in the abdomen,

if it is left in the abdomen then because of the heat the testical can form into a tumour and can sometimes be cancerous so my advice to you is get the operation done asap. if hes 12months old and it hasn,t dropped yet then there is a very good chance it will never drop,

hope you get it sorted

I intend to get it done was more the timing of it, also wondered if it was feasible to remove the retained and keep the other?

wondered how his drive/coat etc maybe effected with both gone?

wanted to wait till 18 month like I did with my rottie so he developed into a male if that makes sense, had my old border terrier done really young on vets advice and he's often been plagued in the past by randy dogs

Edited by martindd

I had this with my springer, it is very doubtful it will descend now, as has been said tought to be 2 reasons 1 gentic and pipe too short and 2 nd just bad luck or knock when young.

If u speak to old school boys they will tell u can breed off them (possibly why so common now?) and they can live to a decent age without any op and the ops are quite a new thing really.

I would say there is no desperate hurry and another 6-12 month or longer won't hurt, (but i'm not a vet) but often modern/young vets seem very keen to castrae dogs at a very young age

I was intending to wait til my dog was 3 before having the op to remove the undescended testicle (wanted to research it a bit more myself as he was turninng into a fantastic work dog) but as it turned out he had to be knocked out 1 kepers day morning afer his first season to get his eye checked out so i told them to take it off but they left the descended 1 untouched, vets were not happy about it as i could still breed with him.

I hoped to research the genetic aspect a bit more to see if it would off been possible to breed if pipe was long nough to allow ball to fall.

But unfortunately i will never breed off him, which is a shame but plenty of other decent dogs out there no poiint in breeding from a problem

Do u think ur dog has reached maturity? I would not be castrating any dog until i thought it was finished being a puppy and cocking its leg

Logan was 18 months when he had his op. Vets will not remove the undescended testicle and leave the descended one totally intact. This is due to them being under instruction to render a dog incapable of breeding with this condition so as not to pass on bad genetics.

Ask your Vet about a vascectomy on the descended testicle as this satifies the none breeding condition without affecting the dogs hormones and leaves the descended testicle in place.

Thanks folks

I've no intention of breeding from him just wanted him to mature naturally and keep a decent coat.

when I've spoken to vet he was dead against leaving the descended like you say, the vasectomy sounds a possibility thanks.

I know with my border who was done early (6months on vets instant when I knew no better) his coat never been much cop a and he's very layed back, as much as this one drives me nuts with his energy I don't want him to change.

Not come across a dog with a large difference in testicle size, but you usually find in most species there is a slight size difference.

I would always wait until a dog is fully grown, before neutering or spaying to prevent developemental problems unless its an emergency.

+1 Found out that some people that bought a cocker pup from us had him castrated on vets advice at six months old. I was not happy to say the least. Hormones play a huge part in their development, both mentally and physically