worst day again

Ira

I love pigeon shooting but yet again a field of rape smothered yesterday even with the gas guns on?

Turn up today brought and early full of it enthusiasm batteries charged whirly out load of birds out the freezer great set up for a left to right shoot, hide was great, my son and I, he's eight, spent a bit of time and From a few yards away it looked like a bush where there should be a bush.

My mate turned up after an hour or so and see up further out and opposite on the field, its big.

neither of us scored any pigeons all day, I never let of a shot, apart from the two I thought might rouse some birds from else where.

Took a drive round the farm and it seems that they have ****** off.

So I normally come home with something for dinner but my last two outing have drawn a complete zero. Its very frustrating but I love it.

To be honest it was great to spend a few hours sat out in a field with my son, just shooting the breeze!!!! and fair play to him for an eight year old he is very patient and sits very still ,I can't fault that.

My 20monthe old lab despite being very excited to start with soon realised it was fruitless and was as well behaved as the boy!

I still love pigeon shooting, or not shooting, as the case may be!

I wouldn't worry, I was out on Saturday and managed a grand total of three birds. It was so bloody windy where I was shooting that they were flying like missiles and constantly weaving around as they got hit by gusts. Incredible sport but if you are a relative novice like me very very tricky to hit :) I also didn't manage to get anything to decoy properly all day and mostly had to shoot them off the flight line I was under. They all vanished about 14:00 and I didn't see another pigeon for about 3 hours! Just the way it goes sometimes I guess.

I think a lot of people tend to only write about the good days, lets face it they can't all be red letter occasions. Had a look tonight at the field I was on yesterday, you guessed it they were flying in by the dozen, loads on the ground. Might be worth a later in the afternoon session, later in the week or tomorrow!!!

we would all like to have mega days but as u no it don't work out like that if we can't have big bags the farmer don't mind at least we are keeping them off the osr wich is wot it's all about and thinning them out of cause when they play ball I am not a game bird shooter just a humble rough shooter but to me the woody is the best game bird out there

As JDog stated walk them off and see if they return before you set up , also let them feed for a short time as you check the field for the flightline in. Set up where they want to feed not where you want to shoot. Keep at it it will improve. Twenty five years ago I would be out all day for nine birds.Most of all reward your son for his patience.

My eight year old boy put me right, he said

"Just because we are not shooting pigeons doesn't mean we're not pigeon shooting"

He's a good a lad and I often tell him so.

Our farm manager has asked us to go to another area where they are thick, allegedly, so I'll be using all your advice there early next week.

My eight year old boy put me right, he said

"Just because we are not shooting pigeons doesn't mean we're not pigeon shooting"

He's a good a lad and I often tell him so.

Our farm manager has asked us to go to another area where they are thick, allegedly, so I'll be using all your advice there early next week.

Your intelligent son is just the sort I would like to have out in the hide with me so I could pass on what little I have learnt about decoying. He does you credit.

Butt kissing on a new level

Of all the ridiculous, facile, stupid and unnecessary comments I have read on this forum yours beats the lot.

You don't say whether you are proud of your sons or not. That it probably telling. If your sons are old enough to understand the mean thinking behind your post there is no doubt that they would not be proud of you.

Edited by JDog

Of all the ridiculous, facile, stupid and unnecessary comments I have read on this forum yours beats the lot.

You don't say whether you are proud of your sons or not. That it probably telling. If your sons are old enough to understand the mean thinking behind your post there is no doubt that they would not be proud of you.

+1

I would be proud to get my son off the computer and he is 23!!!

I had a cracking day on crows on tuesday went back thursday to have a few more and the farm was empty. Went past today on my way out to do an adder survey and the place was thick. Back out monday where shall i go?

Where are you shooting Hifly,I tried again on Thursday afternoon and still not decoying. Spoke to a mate today and hie reckons the hyper flaps are working for him.

I'm still struggling. Also been told that 11 shells plus full 8 full bodied are too much and eight shells are more than enough in the right place!!

I am in Suffolk & there are thousands of pigeons about and have been all winter but in large flocks,but now they are splitting up, I am out again tomorrow on the same field as the birds were still decoying when I had to leave, to the point of them landing as I was collecting in the decoys, a week makes a big difference, my mate reckons that there were 1500 on the field about 5.00pm when he took his dog out. oh and I use 5 lofters, 2 flappers, 2 whirlies, and about 10 shell decoys.

Edited by hifly

Where are you shooting Hifly,I tried again on Thursday afternoon and still not decoying. Spoke to a mate today and hie reckons the hyper flaps are working for him.

I'm still struggling. Also been told that 11 shells plus full 8 full bodied are too much and eight shells are more than enough in the right place!!

Strange for someone to say that.

I am a believer that you can never have too many decoys out, but you can certainly have too few. It could be one of many reasons why your pigeons didn't decoy, but I would wager that it was not because you were using too many decoys.