worst day again

Ira

Yeah thats what I though Motty, I've never shot a massive bag but my best time was a couple of hours for 24 birds with 6 shells after work!! on clover so not the biggest draw. I just keep trying different set ups, I think the biggest thing that I get wrong, normally cos Im in a rush, is the recon, and getting right under a strong flightline.

I still love the game though, if it were easy is wouldn't be fun, and it makes the eating all that much better when I get some!!

on that motty we will have to differ other wise no one would bother with whirleys, flappers, bouncers, spring sticks ect.

No, not if you read what I said, correctly. While movement certainly can help, it is not essential. I almost always use a magnet, but that doesn't mean that it has always been required. Have you never shot pigeons with a totally static decoy pattern? Watch some of the Archie Coates or Jim Albone footage, to see how it can be done.

yer I have seen it done many years ago when there was not the pressure on pigeons or the amount of shooters as there is now, I had the luck to shoot with mr coates a few times and he put dead birds across the wind to provide movement on the feathers or blowing up the feathers and used garden canes to get movement like the modern day bouncer so yes I still stand with what I said Movement is the key to success his favoured trick was to throw dead birds out of the hide

as I said at the start we have diffrent opinions on the subject.

yer I have seen it done many years ago when there was not the pressure on pigeons or the amount of shooters as there is now, I had the luck to shoot with mr coates a few times and he put dead birds across the wind to provide movement on the feathers or blowing up the feathers and used garden canes to get movement like the modern day bouncer so yes I still stand with what I said Movement is the key to success his favoured trick was to throw dead birds out of the hide

as I said at the start we have diffrent opinions on the subject.

So you think it is impossible to decoy pigeons with a static set up?

Just shows how people differ in opinions , some swear by plenty of movement others say magnets etc scare the birds and that static is best !

For me its what ever works best on the day and the crop being shot , I rarely bother with the magnet or anything but static decoys on drilling , if i am shooting rape though I prefer as much movement as possible as a rule.

Edited by fenboy

Just shows how people differ in opinions , some swear by plenty of movement others say magnets etc scare the birds and that static is best !

For me its what ever works best on the day and the crop being shot , I rarely bother with the magnet or anything but static decoys on drilling , if i am shooting rape though I prefer as much movement as possible as a rule.

Agree If things aren't working make changes, trial and error till you get it right, no point in sitting there watching pigeons shy off at 100 yards, add or remove flappers whirlys floaters etc till they start behaving and keep still in the hide. As fenboy said every day and crop are different.

On drillings I very rarely use a rotary and I depend on the correct positioning of the decoy pattern relative to the wind, my hide position and the direction of approach of the pigeons. I do not have a flapper. On those days my decoys are quite stationary.

I guess if you have a nice flat field just drilled the wind can whip across it nicely and move you decoys a little, feathers on dead birds, shells on springs its different from crop shooting where you can hide the apparatus of whirlies within the crop. I take it that bouncers, whirlies etc on a bare field are a dead give away to a pigeon that something aint right and they won't decoy so well if at all. I think I have the theory on a lot of this its just getting it all right in the right place. I think being in the right place could be my failing.

A lad told me yesterday to bag the field right off part from the bit you want em in if they are not playing ball, he also sears by his hydra flap originals says they draw better than dead birds on a rotary?????

I guess if you have a nice flat field just drilled the wind can whip across it nicely and move you decoys a little, feathers on dead birds, shells on springs its different from crop shooting where you can hide the apparatus of whirlies within the crop. I take it that bouncers, whirlies etc on a bare field are a dead give away to a pigeon that something aint right and they won't decoy so well if at all. I think I have the theory on a lot of this its just getting it all right in the right place. I think being in the right place could be my failing.

A lad told me yesterday to bag the field right off part from the bit you want em in if they are not playing ball, he also sears by his hydra flap originals says they draw better than dead birds on a rotary? ????

You would think pigeons would steer clear of pigeon magnets that they can see easily. I have never found this to be the case. I think the reason that a magnet works is because pigeons do not have a clue what they are. Pigeons aren't clever enough to think that a human being has placed a couple of their dead mates onto a mechanical device that spins round, in an attempt to trick them. All the pigeons see is a couple of their pals flying around a field that they may want to feed on. This attracts them.

I have used magnets on bare fields many times and shot big bags.

Having said all of the above (and despite what some others have said in this thread) the REAL key to success in decoying is being in the right place at the right time. No other single factor will ever matter as much.

Edited by motty

You would think pigeons would steer clear of pigeon magnets that they can see easily. I have never found this to be the case. I think the reason that a magnet works is because pigeons do not have a clue what they are. Pigeons aren't clever enough to think that a human being has placed a couple of their dead mates onto a mechanical device that spins round, in an attempt to trick them. All the pigeons see is a couple of their pals flying around a field that they may want to feed on. This attracts them.

I have used magnets on bare fields many times and shot big bags.

Having said all of the above (and despite what some others have said in this thread) the REAL key to success in decoying is being in the right place at the right time. No other single factor will ever matter as much.

Agree totally especially with the last bit, right place right time and that comes as I have said many times Reconnaissance Reconnaissance Reconnaissance

• 2 weeks later...

Of all the ridiculous, facile, stupid and unnecessary comments I have read on this forum yours beats the lot.

You don't say whether you are proud of your sons or not. That it probably telling. If your sons are old enough to understand the mean thinking behind your post there is no doubt that they would not be proud of you.

That put an end to that! Is there not some way to police this? IRA was very measured with his/her response but it could have resulted in a right old barney!

Ha im a him the last time I looked, 6' 15stone him.

My reply was very measured, however I thought the guy showed his class without me lowering myself.

The trouble with any form of written communication is that its totally at the mercy of the reader, My wife often receives texts which she perceives to be rude, they are not rude just direct responses, nothing wrong with that but you can't read sentiment so easily in the written word, especially when people write and text so fast they omit old fashioned words like many thanks!!!!

Any way I went out the other day on some bean drillings, for the first time I used a whirly and it worked, only got a dozen birds but not another worst day!! Trouble was my mate set up in another field, probably better and caused alot of the birds homing in on my pattern to swerve away at the sound of his 12b, but a fun few hours was had.

By the way the Ha was genuine laughter lol and all that