Breasted my first pigeon. would you eat this meat. (pics)

Rough_shooter

Hello Gents. Shot a few woodies in the past but never prepared one before. Breasted my first one today and although the meat looks good, wasn't keen on the look of the guts. See attached pics. Sorry if I'm being a newbie but are those white spots normal on a pigeon. They were quite gristly lumps. Are these breast safe to eat?

Thanks in advance!

(Pics to follow)

I would have said it's ok, going by rabbits with mixy, looking at them from the outside or the kidneys, puts you off eating, but there is nothing wrong with the meat itself, so cook that pigeon breast, (just give that portion to the wife if your worried)

Bit of a Google suggests it could be avian TB. Very common in pigeon. No confirmed case of a human catching it from meat. I need a couple for a meal next Sunday so there's time to bag a couple more this week worst case. As said most people would breast and bin the carcass without knowing so probably ok!

Hello Gents. Shot a few woodies in the past but never prepared one before. Breasted my first one today and although the meat looks good, wasn't keen on the look of the guts. See attached pics. Sorry if I'm being a newbie but are those white spots normal on a pigeon. They were quite gristly lumps. Are these breast safe to eat?

Thanks in advance!

(Pics to follow)

What did you do with them before then?

• 2 weeks later...

I stopped leaving breast skin on after crowning a few in the field and finding loads of nest mite eggs on the breast meat. They scrape off but i shuddered when i thought about how many i must have scoffed in the past. Never seem to get it in the marsh pigeons, but Dover and Folkestone birds are riddled. It must be the sailors.

Unlikely to be avian tuberculosis as this has a slow onset & results in an emaciated carcase-in other words the breasts would look thin & fibrous, and yours look plump & juicy (if you don't mind me saying so).The white liver lesions are also thick & bulbous ('caseous'). This looks more like the visceral (gut/liver) form of 'canker' or trichomoniasis which more normally affects their mouth/throat.Trichomonas is unlikely to be present in the muscle/meat & would not affect you;Although I understand you have already eaten the breasts- as you have not posted for a couple of days I could be wrong!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes I just breast them....small incision bottom of breast, tear the skin and feathers upwards, then fillet the breast meat out....job done, nice and clean

I don't poke about in their guts.....might open the crop to see what they've been eating but that's about it :)