Choosing a Air Rifle Scope???

Marksman1997

Hello everybody! I am trying to decide upon a scope for a TX200HC.

With my other guns i always had ALOT of zoom.

Probably a stupid amount. For example - on my 22lr i once had a 6-24 x 50 (Prob really stupid i know)

Currently on 22lr i have Nikko Stirling 4-12 x 50 and honestly don't think it has much zoom. (Prob enough though)

So i was going to get the same for TX but then i seen people on a fixed 4x or 8x zoom?

Isn't that very low and hard to hit the target (obviously at close range it's great which is why i want mine variable)

But i was thinking about going for a normal air rifle scope this time as i don't want it to look too big!

And i don't really want to use high mounts and i definitely don't want to block the breach! or have to move soo far back that the scope is too close!

After a little looking i found a Hawke 3-9 x 50 & Hawke 3-9 x 40 & Nikko Stirling 3-9 x 40

Are these scopes good or what other scope is better but not crazy price!

Also they come in HD, AO, IR & Nite Eye but i really have no idea what any of these mean :/ Please Help!

And i prefer the mildot reticle.

3-9 x 40 or 3-9 x 50 is more than adequate for a airgun .

HD - high definition is just a lense coating to reduce glare I believe , I would imagine nite eye is something similar but to enhance low light levels.

AO is for adjusting parallax , IR = Illuminated recticle and it will have a small illuminated dot in the middle of the cross hair for shooting in low light.

HD - high definition is just a lense coating to reduce glare I believe , I would imagine nite eye is something similar but to enhance low light levels.

AO is for adjusting parallax , IR = Illuminated recticle and it will have a small illuminated dot in the middle of the cross hair for shooting in low light.

Thank-you Fenboy!

Do you have any experience yourself with hawke or Nikko Stirling scopes?

Yes I use a Nikko myself get on fine with it

AO or parallax adjustment takes the form of a sidewheel or adjustable objective end of your scope.

Im sure your 6-24x50 must have had one ?

The higher the mag the more you will lose focus at different ranges,so its a means of adjustment to bring it back into focus,when set up right it can also give you an indication of range to target.

AO or parallax adjustment takes the form of a sidewheel or adjustable objective end of your scope.

Im sure your 6-24x50 must have had one ?

The higher the mag the more you will lose focus at different ranges,so its a means of adjustment to bring it back into focus,when set up right it can also give you an indication of range to target.

Thanks Rewulf! Very Simply Put!

On all the scopes i have ever had i always had focus at the back of the scope and you just twist the eyepiece for focus and on 6-24 x 50 it was the same except for a bit on the end for extra focus in yards so when you had the eyepiece focused when you zoom looking at e.g. 500 yards you just set the yard setting on the end of the scope to 500.

So does this AO get rid of both eyepiece focus and yard focus at the end of the scope?

And is it just on the left of bullet drop adjustment? Opposite windage adjustment?

Do you remove a cap to adjust it like height and wind adjustments?

AO stands for adjustable objective ,thats the 'bit on the end' of the scope.

Although some people nowadays use the term for sidewheel adjustment too (opposite side to windage)

So your 6-24 scope was AO.

Adjusting the eyepiece will bring the picture into focus but isnt quite the same thing.

AO focus isnt really much good for range finding at anything past 60 yards even with an expensive 50x scope,so I wouldnt rely on it for past that,plus it has to be set up for your eyes.

On what would be the best scope for you,that really depends on what you want to do with it and how much you want to spend.

If you are rabbiting in low light,a large objective and illuminated ret and moderate zoom,around £100 should give you plenty of options to put on your springer.

The 6-24x50 you mentioned would be ideal,just turn the mag down to 10 or 12.

I got myself a very nice little scope of fleabay the other day for £35 delivered,its a short 2-10x40 with IR ret and built in laser,got it mounted on my sig and its a cracking thing for the money.

Edited by Rewulf

I had a Hawke 3x9x50 adjustable objective with illuminated reticle on a springer, the IR is good for lamping as you don't have to search for the cross hairs with your eyes, it just springs into view. The reticle is either green or red (your choice), in 5 different ranges of brightness. I was so impressed with the scope for the money, (around £100 to £120, subject to supplier), that it is now on the .17HMR !! It is also a mill dot scope which is good for air rifles. The AO is also handy on an air rifle as a range finder for about 50 yards, (not required on the HMR). Have a look on the Hawke website for different reticles, types, costs, etc. Go for a 50mm objective lens over anything smaller as you will get more light collection. ATB.

• 2 weeks later...

I started using my 97k with a NS Mountmaster 4x40, standard 30/30 recital,nice simple scope with good clarity,minimum focus is around 15m. I then got seduced by the dark arts and bought a Hawke Airmax EV 4-12x50 AO which is a mouthful to say and a handful to use...so much so that I'm now back with the NS and have just purchased a set of 1 piece mounts for it.As and when I get an fac and a .17hmr the Airmax will go onto that and will probably make a stupendous combo.

I also have an old skool Tasco 4x40 making its way to me, probably end up on a tx in .22 or a 77/97 in .20/.22