After a new whirly.....

matty*

As titled im after a new whirly BUT i want one that will last alday on the smallest possible battery. Lots say will last x amount of time on a small battery and they dont. So im after some feed back from whirlys tried and tested and as light as possible aswell.

Thanks

Matty

Depends on what you consider is 'smallest'.

Smallest capacity, weight or price! You generally get what you pay for. What do you mean by 'alday'? Continuous running or intermittent?

I suggest you address the different factors - running current, time and charge density of the battery technology, etc. I am sure there is a minimum spec for what you want or expect, but I doubt it is an acceptable compromise of capacity, size or cost.

The advertised specs must be concordant with the trades description act, but refer to ideal conditions (new full spec battery, etc). Not many can duplicate these conditions for very long.

Start with the whirly and size your energy supply accordingly. Choose the battery technology that you can afford, or suits your criteria. You will likely be disappointed at the cost or the size ... but compromise is necessary. You get 'nowt for owt' is the name of the game!

Perhaps start with the loading - lightweight decoys or real dead pigeons? - that mkes a huge difference for starters!

RAB

Edited by oliver90owner

Hi Matty, i recently purchased the ultra lightweight rotary from uk shoot warehouse. I can't comment on how long the battery will last as i've not used it yet. I can say it is nice and light and seems very well built. I was torn between this and the sillosocks one as that looks extremely light. I went for the ultra lightweight in the end as it will take dead birds unlike the sillosocks rotary. It has 3 height settings. I also added remote speed control to my order so it can be sped up or slowed down, or turned on and off from the hide.

Guest stevo

I use pinewood , dead birds,7amp 12v all day , tough , NEVER let me down , light weight , set's up in 2 mins , have I tried lots of other types ...... yes ....... love it ...... yes ......... expensive ????? yes , worth it ............ every penny !

this of course is just my opinion .

atb

Thanks for the input. Ive shot 100s of pigeons with the whirly i have now but i am just getting fed up of carrying a car battery around as no other battery will last allday with it and then ive got the weight of the actually whirly its self. I need to lighten up abit.

Thanks for the input. Ive shot 100s of pigeons with the whirly i have now but i am just getting fed up of carrying a car battery around as no other battery will last allday with it and then ive got the weight of the actually whirly its self. I need to lighten up abit.

Have you tried a 22ah battery? That's what I use.

Is that the battery that came in the package with the magnet Pinewood do, or did you buy it separately JDog? I'm thinking about the charger and battery included deal.

Mine came separately but I believe that the make of the battery is the same. I bought mine from an agricultural merchants.

To me correct charging is the key. After a long day the battery is well run down but a good charge (not a trickle charge ) revives it.

Here are two simple questions for you, as you appear to be in possession of a whirly already and your problem is not necessarily of getting a new one but of simply needing a lightweight power supply that will last'alday' as you put it.

1) What is the current draw of your current whirly?

2) What is your definition of 'alday'?

From those two simple answers, there can likely be a sensible suggestion for a battery pack which might satisfy your requirements.

I would think there is a lightweight lithium-ion battery pack out there which would 'lighten up' your kit by a not inconsiderable amount.

Better to be working with facts, not just non-prescriptive specifications.

Like, is your current whirly too heavy for you? How much does your current car battery weigh?

Given all the relevant information, a quantitative assessment and proposal can be made and offered. Otherwise, I suggest you just go out and ask all the suppliers for written guaranteed specifications for their products which cover your specified criteria. Simple as that. The alternative is a load of differing opinion, such as most of the above posts.

Your thread starter could easily have read: ''I want a new lighter gun'' without any reference to type, calibre, current weight, etc, etc.

Another Pinewood user here. 10 years +. One simple replacement part in all that time. Very reliable and great value.

I use hypaflaps. I carry a couple of 5Ah batteries that just about do me for anything but a long, windy summer's day.