jackdaws

spready

Was out today, shooting rooks and crows on the sheep fields, had my fair few and a great days sport, what was wondering , how many of you when shooting jackdaws seem to drop them out the sky and then have them run off only for the dog to chase them down and bring them back. i was dropping crows dead in the air so know its not my shooting (well hope not) . I was using half choke with either 32g 5 or 6s through my semi auto. any ideas?

ive had it , but then i would have thought all of us had... thankfully not to mane as the trouble i have is we dont take a dog when on crows / pigeons so me or my mate either put another one in if its safe and their close enough or we run like an idiot with a priest in the hand to hand despatch

is wierd at times when the fold up and drop like a brick then come to and run on

I kill crows very well with size sevens. I don't know why a lot of people think there is a need to go bigger at normal ranges, ie up to 50 yards.

Plenty of people would not agree with you motty. I think there are a lot of people (myself included) who would not use anything other then 30 or 32 grams of 5 or 6. However given the amount of shooting and success you have a mere mortal like myself would not want to criticise..

...and so the debate starts...Just preference in my case as I have had better results with 32 gram 5s and 6s on the crows and not as good results with 32 gram 7s. Just my opinion which fortunately (as its an opinion) cant be wrong :)

If that works for you then go with what works. I would be in the 7's camp, I've always used 7's for my decoying, as long as the ranges are kept sensible then they will be sufficient.

Plenty of people would not agree with you motty. I think there are a lot of people (myself included) who would not use anything other then 30 or 32 grams of 5 or 6. However given the amount of shooting and success you have a mere mortal like myself would not want to criticise..

It would be boring if we all agreed. I can only speak as I find, after a lot of experience of using the aforementioned shot size. I am certainly not saying that folk who use something different are doing anything wrong.