Behavior problems

Mitchsan51

I've read that that's associated with a nutrition problem, and changing food may help. The carrying is probably more a learned behaviour. I guess you could try removing her chances of success by picking it up immediately from the garden or run etc, then practice on a lead let her approach it, then a sharp tug on a slip lead and a firm no!

Not sure how positive reinforcement will be possible here?

If your going to the trouble of putting on chili , why don't you just pick it up instead !

There are no solutions to this problem you just have to be aware when the dog is transgressing and let the dog know it is not acceptable. This has nothing to do with a lack of something in diet all carnivores will do it given the chance, some more than others, just don't give the dog the chance.

How old is Pippa.

Have you had her from a puppy or is she a rehome.

Does she mess her bed at anytime or just overnight.

Does she sleep in the house and where.

Can she get in and out of her sleep area at night.ie is she in a crate or open bed.

What time does she have her last meal.

What time does she have her last walk chance to go toilet outside.

Do you take her dish up after a set time if she hasn't eaten it all.

Has anything changed in the household recently. Someone moved in or out. New other pet. Major work being done.

I know there are a lot of questions. Trying to see if there is a pattern or something simple to try changing.

Edited by loriusgarrulus

Pippa is 4 years old

Yes from a puppy

Just overnight

Sleeps in the garage on an open bed

Last meal 5pm

She has a walk a 4pm and she stays in her pen till 6.30 pm when I let her in the house for a wrestling match ! She never leaves a scrap.

Just some decorating.

Thanks.

Pippa is 4 years old

Yes from a puppy

Just overnight

Sleeps in the garage on an open bed

Last meal 5pm

She has a walk a 4pm and she stays in her pen till 6.30 pm when I let her in the house for a wrestling match ! She never leaves a scrap.

Just some decorating.

Thanks.

Try taking her for a walk before you go to bed as late as possible. 10pm even if it is just round the block.

You could also try increasing her interaction time with you as much as possible. Dogs are pack animals and if she hasn't got another dog companion you need to be her pack as well as pack leader. It doesn't have to be all active interaction, just let her sit with you while watching TV or when on the computer.

If her bed is totally open, it might help enclosing it in a enclosed type plastic crate or box to give her a feeling of extra security. If the bed box is high enough for her to get in, but not high enough to sit up, it all increases the security feeling without allowing her to squat to poo.

The sudden messing at night could also be due to being disturbed if a neighbour has started shift work.

Sudden extra thought. If you mainly shoot game, her routine might also have changed quite a bit with the end of the season.

Edited by loriusgarrulus