who would .. or does

washwildfowler

Just a little bit of a pole really

do you jut want to pay your subs and shoot the foreshore..

would you help with work party's if asked ..

Or do you think it should be compulsory in every club to help out with work party's of some form ...

Let's not get heated in this discussion . I just want to know peoples thoughts are around the country ...

Ww

Edited by washwildfowler

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if i can help i will, problem i have is its three and a half hours each way to my clubs grounds and i dont drive but as long as my shooting partner (the driver) was up for it i would.. i did go to the clubs AGM last year and work parties where mentioned by another member and knocked back by the clubs comittee

I would help at a work party, I think it's a good way for new members to see the marshes and ask a few questions whilst there. I don't know if making it compulsory would be best ie people may be at work etc.

However I do believe members should be more involved with the club somehow. Well I certainly would like to be more involved

Not sure how but definitely food for thought.

Pm me if you wish.

I would help at a work party, I think it's a good way for new members to see the marshes and ask a few questions whilst there. I don't know if making it compulsory would be best ie people may be at work etc.

However I do believe members should be more involved with the club somehow. Well I certainly would like to be more involved

Not sure how but definitely food for thought.

Pm me if you wish.

james if you attend the AGM next week there will be more info for you to help out ..

I would be happy to help where I can although my shift pattern can make it difficult to meet up .

If I would want to make it compulsory or not I am not sure , its fine for people like me who live close by but there are those who make a very long trip to shoot the wash , its difficult enough to keep memberships up without starting to implement things that are compulsory I guess.

I do think that something needs to be done regarding the checking of tickets , little point it being in the clubs rules if it is not enforced .

As I have already mentioned the clubs need to find a way to get new young blood into the sport , and maybe some young blood on some of the committees too.

It's compulsory in my club, with a £75 fine for non-attendance if I remember right? They run a few through the year so that most people are catered for given work patterns and holidays.

I like the idea, and I usually enjoy the work parties too. They can be hard work, but it's a good craic and a chance to discuss fowling forays from the previous season.

Think it all starts at the top. Members can only help out if they know about whats going on, don't think they should be made compulsory but a lot to be said about going back a step and making some clubs feel like a club again by linking members with committee and what's going on.

We don't have compulsory work parties , but if you want to shoot on the clubs marshes the last week of the season you have to attend at least one and they are normally on a Sunday morning.

It used to be the first week of the season and apart from the ones who turn out whenever needed the attendance was pretty poor , then they changed it to the last week and the turnout was a lot better.

One of my clubs has a number of work days each spring\summer and i always attend at least one. Its a bit of a hike as I live 40 miles away from the marshes, but if anyone can travel that far for a flight , then a work party is no problem. I would do more , but once April is here I am working 7 days a week. A good chance to meet up with other members and have a chat. The other club has not had a work day for 20 years.

Edited by anser2

I would attend any work parties, the problem is unless it is made compulsory then it would be the same few doing all the work. It does appear that this is the way in most clubs/society's etc and not only in shooting. Perhaps a financial incentive may be the way to go, then at least the lazy ones would contribute something!!

I would happily attend more work parties if i could, but time is a massive factor. Family, work, life etc. I know what its like though, i am the chairman of a local angling club, and we struggle to get as many people out to work parties as we would like.

Cheers

Aled

I'm a big advocate of people getting involved - work parties for the ones who are young enough and fit enough but in my opinion everyone can help out at a bird-count, young shots day or feeding the marsh in bad weather. All too often its the same faces but i think if you have the privilege to have "cheap" foreshore shooting you should be willing to put something back for the good of the club - not enforced but whenever possible.

With our strictly enforced club curfews it also lets people see the grounds when otherwise they wouldn't -There is nothing like seeing the tide covering the marsh on a bird count to remind you of the importance of knowing your tide times when out there in the pitch black...

hope you're all keeping out of mischief.

Thanks to all those who have taken the time to reply to the topic .. With 477 views and only 19 replies . so I guess there's a lot out there who just want to pay there money and shoot and have no real interest in there club ..

I see one or two have picked up on people who make the effort to travel to shoot the foreshore but can't make the effort for a work party even with good notice ..

There's food for thought .

Thanks WW

Edited by washwildfowler

is food for thought but we have to realise people in my position or people whos work commitments may get in the way, they may work weekends regularly but still shoot. by that i mean they may work 3 out of 4 weekends so shoot on their free one, but if the work party falls on a work day their stuffed or they may work weekends and shoot week days

(an idea) club tidy up days are a good get together and put the world to rights but don't just tidy on that day why not after your flight has finished pick up debris in your area on the way back to the car park, as for bridge repairs etc who ever can turn up off season I am certain all help would be greatly received not everybody can make it to the marsh as often as they would like for work parties or shooting, something or someone can scupper the best laid plans

Thanks to all those who have taken the time to reply to the topic .. With 477 views and only 19 replies . so I guess there's a lot out there who just want to pay there money and shoot and have no real interest in there club ..

I see one or two have picked up on people who make the effort to travel to shoot the foreshore but can't make the effort for a work party even with good notice ..

There's food for thought .

Thanks WW

So just because someone hasn't replied, that makes them a "turn up and shoot, and nothing else" type of wildfowler.

I know of at least 5 PW members who I would class as live and die for their particular associations, who have chosen not to comment as of yet.

Just because someone has decided not to reply does not make them any less a committed wildfowler in all aspects (shooting and work parties) to their respective associations.

I try to arrange my work to allow for me to attend the work parties, but as the bulk of my work is done from the start of February until early December, (6-7 days a week) and with having a young family, sometimes this is just not possible.

I think it is hard to expect all members to attend work parties nowadays due to peoples circumstances.

I don't attend many work parties, but along side a few other members we carry out work to on the marshes all year round. To make up the best we can last year we rebuilt 3 brides and place numerous pallets on low lying saltings and helped on the vermin control front. Most time I go down the sea wall I take a bag and pick rubbish and empty cartridge cases and wads.

I would like to think that most members in a lot of clubs understand that help on work parties is vital to maintaining there grounds. But there will also be a few who just want to turn up and shoot. And take for granted all of the hard work done by others.