Kent Sea fishing?

Dannyboy220

I'm looking for some tips on sea fishing. I used to do a lot of carp fishing but want to take my 2 girls out sea fishing. Am thinking about starting small as they are young and want to keep them interested. So maybe some mackeral fishing in summer? I like the look of Samphire Hoe in Dover but would like some recommendations from those in the know. Eventually want to take them out on a boat as I reckon they would love it. Both been out shooting with me and enjoy being out with Daddy in the hide or woods.

They are 6 and 7 and definitely love the outdoors and I'm looking for different ways to be out with them doing something we can all enjoy.

Main questions are what type of rods to go for and when's the best time of year for semi frequent catches? We're not looking for monsters but I don't think they will be happy waiting for hours for a bite.

Would probably be sea wall fishing or from a pier/boat as they won't be able to cast the distance from the beach so want rods / reels that will suit this method really but have no idea where to start.

Any help appreciated chaps.

Cheers

Dan.

Edited by Dannyboy220

A little telescopic spinning rod, some feathers and a 1 or 2 oz weight would do fine, especially off a sea wall. Kids like a crab line too so you could drop one or two in as well.

June to September on a incoming tide will be your best bet for mackerel. Take an instant barbeque for the fish too as they never taste better than fresh from the sea (take some sausages too just in case).

Edited by FalconFN

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah they're in the loft still. I did think about using them but didn't wanna be the guy that turns up to a pheasant shoot with a semi if you know what I mean. But if it's good enough for you then...

If you are precious about them then dont. They will get knocked about and the rings are not saltwater jobs so make sure you clean them off properly after use. Treat yourself to a 5000 sized multiplier and you have a versatile set up that can do a bit of everything.

• 5 weeks later...

On charter boats tackle is either included or they just charge a fiver or so for hire.

I have a Fladen 11' Bass Predator carbon sea rod which cost £20 from a Boyes store, if you have one near you, and it's a really light & versatile rod.

For boat fishing I have a Shakespeare Agility 8' four piece carbon travel rod and my buddy has an 8' Ugly Stik. Both inexpensive quality rods.

If you have a harbour then really light tackle on your Carp rod with a bit of Sweetcorn or Bread on a small hook can give you a fantastic fight on Mullet. :)

e fished Samphire many times, good fishing to be had at this venue.

Need a high tide for the mackerel or else you'll snag on the rocks. I float fish the edge with a 6-10 foot trace and go for bass, pollack and wrasse.

I think it's £2 a rod and £2 for parking but ain't been there for a while.

It's child friendly too.

enjoy.

• 2 months later...

Hi Marmite,

That sounds like a good plan. The girls are both 7 at the moment so young but they are very well behaved.

Could definitely arrange some shooting I'm sure. Unfortunately at the moment we are 8 days overdue for our third girl! And just about to move house in the next fortnight or so. but I will keep in contact to arrange something for sure,

This is what pigeon watch should be about.

Dan.

Hi Marmite,

That sounds like a good plan. The girls are both 7 at the moment so young but they are very well behaved.

Could definitely arrange some shooting I'm sure. Unfortunately at the moment we are 8 days overdue for our third girl! And just about to move house in the next fortnight or so. but I will keep in contact to arrange something for sure,

This is what pigeon watch should be about.

Dan.

Totally agree and good luck, you have alot going on!!!

• 2 weeks later...