What fly for trout?

mossberg-operator

Ring the changes....start off with a black dog nobbler with lure flash in the Maribou tail if no good then White then Orange on a sink tip line, vary the retrieve rate and sink time, this should be good for a few stockies.......there ain't much natural food about at this time of year and fish gotta eat!

Edited by panoma1

I tend to not use whatever everyone else is using, or whatever happens to be the 'killing fly' of the moment, to my way of thinking they have probably seen loads of those flashing past so why not try something different? I will be the first to admit I am not reservoir fisherman at all, but I have done it few times just to see what it was like.

Be interested to hear how you got on.

I always look to see what's coming off if anything and /or have a look in the catch return.

When I've fished the bigger reservoirs like chew, ladybower, grafham and the like this time of year ive always used two size 14 buzzers with a black and peacock spider or march brown on the point. I must admit I don't use lures, and prefer to cast out with a floating leader, let the flies slowly sink, tighten the line up and let the chop work the flies. Sometimes I might use a very slow retrieve, and sometimes I might use a fluro foam indicator on the leader.

Usually that works and I then spoon the first fish to see what they have been feeding on.

If the fish are down deep I will use a Goldhead damselor even a sunken Daddy, which I find seems to work well any time of year for some reason.

Edited by Fisherman Mike

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...