New SGC/FAC licensing fees

aris

The guns are going in to RDF mate as I don't trust Durham,the quote a S7 can not be issued until a cert expires meaning that my cert expires on 25/03/15 I can not ask for a S7 till 26/03/15.When my mate asked for a S7 a couple of years back, before he left for the Riggs (as expiry was while he was offshore)they said ok..He got of the rigs and was calling me from the heliport in a right panicas he rec a call from them telling him to get them to an RDF on Xmas eve or he would be arrested,Bearing in mind he is over 200mls from home and it's 2pm on exams eve.They denied he made the call before going offshore and then tried to say aS7 doesn't exist,thankfully BASC sorted this.I am taking no chances knowing Durhams history.

A fee increase at this time with this kind of service Mmmmmm,I don't mind paying a fair increase for a fair service,oh and that lady at Durham I wish she would not refer to me as that old man.Maybe the increase would also require them to pay the fee payer some respect.

So nothing has changed in at least two years eh? Ah well.....that's progress I suppose. :) Better get them round to your RFD then.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they go of my 1st submission 26/11/14 then a S7 is possible and the cashed cheque proves this.See the thing around the S7 dosent reflect good on them as its a self addmitance of under performing,doesnt look good on the licencing authority stats wise.Some forces are now issuing Temperary permits rather than S7's to try and minipulate the stats rather than admit they are under performing.But to perposely make a responsible licence holder (my mate ) hold a Shot gun illegally rather issue a S7 lol.

Im not taking any chances,my licence expires 25/03/15 I can not ask on that day( have been told),I can not get to the desk untill 15.30 on the 26/03/15 to get the S7/ temp cert.So what happens in the in between from midnight on the 25/03/15 to me asking and hopefully getting either aS7 or a temp cert.

Edited by Davyo

Im not taking any chances,my licence expires 25/03/15 I can not ask on that day( have been told),I can not get to the desk untill 15.30 on the 26/03/15 to get the S7/ temp cert.So what happens in the in between from midnight on the 25/03/15 to me asking and hopefully getting either aS7 or a temp cert.

When my S/G cert expired leaving me without a license I phoned Durham asking for a temp cert to cover me.

I was told just to keep my guns in the cabinet & not use them, if I did I could be arrested for not having a valid S/G cert...

Stated I didn't have one to start with, (their fault not mine) the reply was keep them in the cabinet, it'll be OK.

Sure there was a long running thread on this a while back, & on reading the posts I realized that I had illegal shotguns, for which I could have been prosecuted.

Nope, never though about it TBH until I read the posts on PW, then realized the position I could have been in...

There was thread which I have read on S7 and Cheshire wont issue them either.

Its down to bad performance statistics.

However, Cheshire did NOT say I couldnt use the guns but they told me to advise any PC who asked that the Cert was 'in for renewal' - thin ice or what for both them and me ?

I have to say that after all this I would insist or, as above, take them to my RFD.

There was thread which I have read on S7 and Cheshire wont issue them either.

Its down to bad performance statistics.

However, Cheshire did NOT say I couldnt use the guns but they told me to advise any PC who asked that the Cert was 'in for renewal' - thin ice or what for both them and me ?

I have to say that after all this I would insist or, as above, take them to my RFD.

would you send the storage bill to plod ?

You need to DEMAND a S7 now. If you are not responsible for the delay then your licensing authority have a legal obligation and no choice but to issue. Get onto your shooting organisation NOW and tell them to DEMAND of your licensing authority, on your behalf, that they issue you with the permit.

You need to DEMAND a S7 now. If you are not responsible for the delay then your licensing authority have a legal obligation and no choice but to issue. Get onto your shooting organisation NOW and tell them to DEMAND of your licensing authority, on your behalf, that they issue you with the permit.

My renewal was handed in 26/11/14, cheque cashed 03/12/14, then when i decided to prog chase a few weeks ago as had'nt heard nothing,i was told they did not have the renewal. Funny i said you cashed cheque 03/12/14.Also called in last week regarding a S7 and i asked can i call in on the 24/03/15 ( expires 25/03/15) to be told a section 7 can not be issued till after the licence expires.So i have been told i can collect this or temp cert on 26/03/15 not on 24th or 25th.Guns will be with RDF 24/03/15.

He is a member of BASC so good luck with that.

My renewal was handed in 26/11/14, cheque cashed 03/12/14, then when i decided to prog chase a few weeks ago as had'nt heard nothing,i was told they did not have the renewal. Funny i said you cashed cheque 03/12/14.Also called in last week regarding a S7 and i asked can i call in on the 24/03/15 ( expires 25/03/15) to be told a section 7 can not be issued till after the licence expires.So i have been told i can collect this or temp cert on 26/03/15 not on 24th or 25th.Guns will be with RDF 24/03/15.

You keep posting about all the trials and tribulations regarding the progress (or non-progress) of your ticket but when someone advises you of what you can do you simply repeat the same info' you've been complaining about in several thread topics. A S7 permit CAN, and should, in the case of an applicant applying within the accepted time, be supplied to the applicant BEFORE their tickets expire. You appear to simply go along with whatever your licensing authority fobs you off with, and whatever insult they tend to proffer into the bargain...'old man'.

Hand your guns into a RFD for all I care, and pay for the privilege, but if you're not prepared to stand up for yourself when the law is on your side, and your options have been pointed out to you, then I don't see what you hope to achieve by repeatedly posting the same problem on here.

You are entitled to receive a S7, and I repeat, your licensing authority has NO OPTION but to submit one to you if the reason for the delay is down to them, which according to you, it clearly is.

I can perfectly understand your frustration if you're getting no joy from your shooting organisation, and if so my advice would be to change it, but the law is on your side. I can't make it any simpler. Further, in this instance if your shooting organisation wont get involved, presuming you've told them, then this is something you can easily sort yourself. All you have to do is cease accepting any old guff licensing tells you.

Have a look at HO guidelines regarding S7 permits. The law in this instance is on your side. It's up to you.

You keep posting about all the trials and tribulations regarding the progress (or non-progress) of your ticket but when someone advises you of what you can do you simply repeat the same info' you've been complaining about in several thread topics. A S7 permit CAN, and should, in the case of an applicant applying within the accepted time, be supplied to the applicant BEFORE their tickets expire. You appear to simply go along with whatever your licensing authority fobs you off with, and whatever insult they tend to proffer into the bargain...'old man'.

Hand your guns into a RFD for all I care, and pay for the privilege, but if you're not prepared to stand up for yourself when the law is on your side, and your options have been pointed out to you, then I don't see what you hope to achieve by repeatedly posting the same problem on here.

You are entitled to receive a S7, and I repeat, your licensing authority has NO OPTION but to submit one to you if the reason for the delay is down to them, which according to you, it clearly is.

I can perfectly understand your frustration if you're getting no joy from your shooting organisation, and if so my advice would be to change it, but the law is on your side. I can't make it any simpler. Further, in this instance if your shooting organisation wont get involved, presuming you've told them, then this is something you can easily sort yourself. All you have to do is cease accepting any old guff licensing tells you.

Have a look at HO guidelines regarding S7 permits. The law in this instance is on your side. It's up to you.

I will be in touch with BASC, immediatly after 25/03/15

Because they said they are not late in renewing till after 25/03/15,as far as home office guidance goes,no I haven't look at it.I assumed they know it and have quoted it when I went in this week to ask about the S7.As the officer said its not due for renewal till 25th so currently we are not late.I would assume my shooting organisation wouldn't take any action until the firearms authority has not met their deadline.

As far as not doing anything,I have been in twice,once when they lost the renewal with my bank statement to show them the cheque was cashed & secondly to ask when can I request a S7. Is my presence not good enough as a reminder to them that I'm not to happy with the level of service.I don't feel I need the assistance of BASC until the 25th or a S7 refusal.

Edited by Davyo

I've just had my cheque cashed for £50. (coterminous) My renewal is on May 15th, so I hope the police don't ask for any more.

my cheque went in Monday £50 like you,

just got my fishing license for next season as i pay that by direct debit £27 per year and i think that is reasonable so £65 for coterminous fac and scg is good

colin

Ah well, so long as you're happy.

Hi mate,can you pin point the HO guidance on the S7 as the Licencing authority said I can't have one issue d till the old expires,this was also confirmed by BASC when they called me today.I was told I can request one ( which I did ) but can't have one till 26/03/15

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/363016/Guidance_on_Firearms_Licensing_Law_v10_-_Oct_2014.pdf

Page 80 section 10.51.

That's as far as I've read so have no idea about S7 being issued prior to your ticket expiring, but at my last renewal (Cumbria) when my FEO was leaving, handed me a S7 permit, 'just in case you don't get your new ones back in time'. My current ones hadn't yet expired. He also said that I wouldn't be able to buy ammunition with the S7 but if I was short to let him know and I could have my current one back. He also told me to destroy 'properly' the S7 when my new tickets arrived.

It is/was the only S7 I've ever had and I didn't even ask for it. You would think that it would be far simpler just to leave you with your current certificates until your new ones arrive wouldn't you? I suppose that would be too simple though.

This was before I was aware that it wasn't obligatory to return your current certificates with your renewal forms. I wont be doing it again.

Just dropped shot gun off at RDF,went decoying this morning and called into Durham to ask if a S7 will be ready 1st thing as got a day Decoying planned tomorrow ( hoping they would just say here have one now).No such luck,told blankly "we will call you when it's ready","what time I asked","don't know sometime after dinner "was the reply.They did say however that I could keep it in the cabinet,I have called BASC and they said that when they tell you to just lock it away,they can't arrest you as they will have to prosecute themselves for aiding and abetting as they advised you it's ok to possess while waiting for a S7. Anyhow to save hassle it's gone to RDF only £20 for a month plus I am not sitting about all day waiting for their call I'll just have a day out with the rimmy on the rabbits tomorrow.

Will keep you informed after tomorrow,BASC recon it's because I didn't comply with the new medical form ( they can have all the medical records they like ,don't need a form to get them and an additional £50 for the quack)

Just dropped shot gun off at RDF,went decoying this morning and called into Durham to ask if a S7 will be ready 1st thing as got a day Decoying planned tomorrow ( hoping they would just say here have one now).No such luck,told blankly "we will call you when it's ready","what time I asked","don't know sometime after dinner "was the reply.They did say however that I could keep it in the cabinet,I have called BASC and they said that when they tell you to just lock it away,they can't arrest you as they will have to prosecute themselves for aiding and abetting as they advised you it's ok to possess while waiting for a S7. Anyhow to save hassle it's gone to RDF only £20 for a month plus I am not sitting about all day waiting for their call I'll just have a day out with the rimmy on the rabbits tomorrow.

Will keep you informed after tomorrow,BASC recon it's because I didn't comply with the new medical form ( they can have all the medical records they like ,don't need a form to get them and an additional £50 for the quack)

If BASC recon its because of the medical tell them to stop talking **** and do the job you are paying them to do, they know fine well it has nothing to do with it as many people under Durham didnt comply with their medical form including myself and have had no trouble renewing or any delays.

Edited by Luckyshot

If BASC recon its because of the medical tell them to stop talking **** and do the job you are paying them to do, they know fine well it has nothing to do with it as many people under Durham didnt comply with their medical form including myself and have had no trouble renewing or any delays.

Given the inevitability of a S7 requirement I am surprised at BASC's 'not until the 25th attitude' - it simply doesnt hold water - still its an easy solution if you get one - they just ignore the fact that you were put 'at risk' for the time you might have held firearms without a valid cert or S7. Not really good enough for the largest shooting organisation which prides itself on being close to Mr Marsh? Maybe a word in his 'shell like' about Durham 'messing up his vision' might have been better for the shooter in this case?

With regards to Sec 7:

It is the certificate holder’s responsibility to renew their certificate on time and not rely on police reminders. The police do send out renewal reminders well in advance of expiry. However, backlogs can occur and are expected in 2015.

Each request for a temporary permit case must be determined on its merits but constabularies should issue them if delays have occurred in the system.

It is intended to cover temporary situations such as delays, or to allow short-term possession of firearms after the death of the certificated owner.

A permit may not be issued in order to authorise the purchase or acquisition of firearms or ammunition but shotgun ammunition can be purchased if you have a temporary permit.

The July 2014 Home Office Guidance says:

10.51 “If a certificate expires before a renewed certificate has been issued and the certificate holder has behaved in a reasonable manner returning the forms in good time, a temporary permit (section 7 Permit) should be issued by default. With regard to renewal, the applicant may submit a photocopy of their certificate and retain the expiring certificate in order to be able to buy ammunition.”

15.4. “Permits should be issued by chief officers where a certificate has not been re-issued or where a variation has been delayed and the applicant has made the application in good time. This may be appropriate where the renewal of a certificate is so delayed that the applicant may otherwise be left without permission to continue possessing and using their firearm and ammunition. This may not be the case where the applicant or his referees had been uncooperative and, is, or are, substantially responsible for the delay. In these circumstances, the applicant should be advised to arrange for the firearms and ammunition to be placed in storage with a registered firearms dealer or another suitably authorised certificate holder.”

BASC advice on obtaining a Section 7 temporary permit

BASC’s advice is that if your certificate is delayed by the administrative process you should always make a written request for a temporary permit. These are the things you need to do:

• Supply the date you submitted your renewal application and the date your certificate(s) expired.
  • Request the immediate renewal of the certificates or the issue of a Section 7 permit to prevent you from possessing firearms without a valid certificate.
  • Politely advise that if a Section 7 permit is not issued then you will be obliged to consider submitting a formal complaint.
  • Request details of the complaints procedure.
Refusal to grant a Section 7 permit – Complaints

Any complaint against a refusal to issue a Section 7 permit should be made in writing. You should be able to find details on the force’s website. BASC can’t make the complaint for you but we will advise you how to do it.

Making a justified complaint will also highlight areas where the police might improve their service.

I will be very happy to check tomorrow exactly what you were advised regarding the delay in your renewal, especially in the context of the medical form.
Can i just check that you did not send back the medical form with your renewal?
David