New SGC/FAC licensing fees

aris

With regards to Sec 7:

It is the certificate holders responsibility to renew their certificate on time and not rely on police reminders. The police do send out renewal reminders well in advance of expiry. However, backlogs can occur and are expected in 2015.

Each request for a temporary permit case must be determined on its merits but constabularies should issue them if delays have occurred in the system.

It is intended to cover temporary situations such as delays, or to allow short-term possession of firearms after the death of the certificated owner.

A permit may not be issued in order to authorise the purchase or acquisition of firearms or ammunition but shotgun ammunition can be purchased if you have a temporary permit.

The July 2014 Home Office Guidance says:

10.51 If a certificate expires before a renewed certificate has been issued and the certificate holder has behaved in a reasonable manner returning the forms in good time, a temporary permit (section 7 Permit) should be issued by default. With regard to renewal, the applicant may submit a photocopy of their certificate and retain the expiring certificate in order to be able to buy ammunition.

15.4. Permits should be issued by chief officers where a certificate has not been re-issued or where a variation has been delayed and the applicant has made the application in good time. This may be appropriate where the renewal of a certificate is so delayed that the applicant may otherwise be left without permission to continue possessing and using their firearm and ammunition. This may not be the case where the applicant or his referees had been uncooperative and, is, or are, substantially responsible for the delay. In these circumstances, the applicant should be advised to arrange for the firearms and ammunition to be placed in storage with a registered firearms dealer or another suitably authorised certificate holder.

BASC advice on obtaining a Section 7 temporary permit

BASCs advice is that if your certificate is delayed by the administrative process you should always make a written request for a temporary permit. These are the things you need to do:

• Supply the date you submitted your renewal application and the date your certificate(s) expired.
  • Request the immediate renewal of the certificates or the issue of a Section 7 permit to prevent you from possessing firearms without a valid certificate.
  • Politely advise that if a Section 7 permit is not issued then you will be obliged to consider submitting a formal complaint.
  • Request details of the complaints procedure.
Refusal to grant a Section 7 permit Complaints

Any complaint against a refusal to issue a Section 7 permit should be made in writing. You should be able to find details on the forces website. BASC cant make the complaint for you but we will advise you how to do it.

Making a justified complaint will also highlight areas where the police might improve their service.

I will be very happy to check tomorrow exactly what you were advised regarding the delay in your renewal, especially in the context of the medical form.

Can i just check that you did not send back the medical form with your renewal?

David

Thank david,I have spoken to one of your colleagues today and last week regarding this issue.My renewal was handed in on 26/11/14 and expired today 25/03/15. I popped in today as was hoping to get a S7 today as was wanting to go decoying again tomorrow 6.30 am.However I understand that a S7 can not and will not be issued till my licence actually expires at 24.00 hrs. I asked politely would it be possible to collect it at 8am (explained I want to go decoying)and was told ,we will call you when it's ready,poss lunch time.

However I have heard 0 since I handed it in since 26/11/14,so I have little faith I will get a call tomorrow so as a reassurance I have left my gun with my RDF.( not left in my cabinet as advised by them).I am not going to worry about it any further as my main concern was being in possesion with no cert but RDF has sorted that little issue.I will still get out tomorrow but it will be with the rimmy another good reason to have not have a joint expiry for my SGC/FAC or I would be stuck.If I dont get that call I will ring BASC image afternoon

Edited by Davyo

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Picked it up this morning after a call at 8.30 am,and as I didn't bother taking the rimmy out (weather)I went and collected it and got my gun back from RDF.Form 112 permit to possess Shot Guns under section 7,valid from 26/03/15 to 25/06/16. At least it has the right gun listed,oddly no photo so I suppose I will need to take additional Id when I buy cartridges.My expired certificate they took off me this morning and the FEO is doing late visits so is comming out on Monday evening.

Thanks scully for giving me a kick up the backside,I admit I was sitting back doing nothing and to BASC for all you advise.Decoying tomorrow again so thanks.

Picked it up this morning after a call at 8.30 am,and as I didn't bother taking the rimmy out (weather)I went and collected it and got my gun back from RDF.Form 112 permit to possess Shot Guns under section 7,valid from 26/03/15 to 25/06/16. At least it has the right gun listed,oddly no photo so I suppose I will need to take additional Id when I buy cartridges.My expired certificate they took off me this morning and the FEO is doing late visits so is comming out on Monday evening.

Thanks scully for giving me a kick up the backside,I admit I was sitting back doing nothing and to BASC for all you advise.Decoying tomorrow again so thanks.

To be honest, it would be helpful if, especially with current manpower shortages, a section 7 was a lawful requirement on, and a performance measure for, the issuing police forces.

At the moment the law is studiously being ignored - by the police.

I simply cant imagine anything else where you could go from legal to illegal with such potentially disastrous consequences. Perhaps our shooting organisations should tackle the problem at source with ACPO, if they are so influential in affecting police policy and delivery?

With computer databases this should present no problems - just the will to do it isnt there, or anywhere, from what I can see.

Bearing in mind my own experience with a S7 permit and how effortless on my part it all was, I think you've been treated disgustingly Davyo. I get the impression your application has been seen as an inconvenience and your enquiries met with indifference and derision by Durham, though no doubt they would claim they have done all that they are obliged to do, not withstanding the reason the S7 had to be authorised was due to their negligence. S7's don't have a photo, at least mine didn't.

Just to rub a little salt in, next time you go in, if she calls you old man, insist on being called Mr Davyo, or even better, Sir. If you get the cold shoulder ask for her number and title and then ask her how you go about submitting a formal complaint regarding her ageist remarks. She has no option but to assist you, made even more sweeter by the fact she'll be helping you to complain about her, and if she refuses you can complain about that too.

There's always an upside. :) Good luck on the pigeons.