Factory built or altered

Punt Gun

Hi

I don't know too much about air rifles but was speaking to someone about applying for my FAC, he suggested getting a FAC air rifle but if I did to buty one that was purposely built as FAC and not one that has been altered to FAC. What's eveyones opinion. If this is right how do you know whether a gun has been altered or factory built at FAC rating?

regards

buy it from the factory built as fac,

don't buy one that's been messed with and tuned to fac,

It's a difficult call. If a professional who knows that they're doing has done it, all will be fine. If someone's just had a bash at it and upped the power without doing a proper job then that's when you should stay clear! It's not just about playing with different springs and hammers and that's it. Most air rifles need a fair few parts replacing to parts that are designed to take the stresses of massively increased power. just upping the power and not replacing all those other components is a recipe for disaster.

evo's probably right, unless you know exactly who it was and how it was done, i'd stay clear of sub12 guns that have been uprated

• 2 weeks later...

i have a FAC bsa s10 and i have tuned it up to the max! rebuilt cigar unit with custom springs ,and a custom hammerspring , also nice to know if it goes wrong or just needs a service i can do it my self as seal kit cost pennys ,

well. i did cheat a bit mr Bowkett who designed the superten did show me how to rebuild the cigar unit !

Edited by kiteandy