4am toilet time

ShootingEgg

My 4 1/2 old springer has decided that it is a good time of day to go out to do his thing at 4am. Any ideas on how to break this as il be honest im shattered after a month of letting him out. Obviously its the better option than coming down to a nice walnut whip in the kitchen.But still im not a morning person at 6 when i have to get up. Let alone 4...

Is it 4 1/2 mths or years. A good walk about 10:00pm with some free running might help so he has a clear out earlier on. It doesn't work just letting them out in the garden before you go to bed as they often just do a wee then. Make sure he gets his tea early and give him chance to digest it first before the run.

I used to get up for my pup when she was young about midnight and put her out for a bit, then see how long she'd last til morning. Worked better for me than getting up early as I'd not been in bed long anyway so felt less tired. I gradually weaned her down until I was letting her out at 11 and then I built the time up later and later the next morning. She now goes out last thing at night about half past ten and I get up about 6 or 6:30 (normal for me) and has done since she was about 6 months.

One thing is don't play with him or give any attention when you get up in the night. Let him out, let him back in, and go back to bed.

One thing is don't play with him or give any attention when you get up in the night. Let him out, let him back in, and go back to bed.

I was told this too. With my 8 week old lab I started off by getting up at 3.00am after putting him to bed at 11. Each night I extended it by 15-20 mins and now at 11 weeks he goes from 10.30 - 6.00. As above, I never spoke to him or fussed him during those night visits. I am worried though that this might all change when the lighter mornings come!

Has he been sleeping through regularly prior to this.

Have you got a crate for him. If so try putting him in it at night and shutting the door. Give him a small treat once he's in so he associates bedtime with a reward. Then close any doors in between him and you and if needed wear earplugs for a few nights. They are less likely to mess in a crate as they have got to sit in or near it. Leave crate door open during the day so it's his place when he wants to. Never put him in it as a punishment as you want him to associate the crate with good things and security. Once he is older you can choose to leave the door open 24/7.

You need to use the water spray when they are actually barking for it to be effective. The other option is the sound activated Innotek citronella spray collars, but he is probably a bit small for one of them.

Your best bet is still to ignore him as you are rewarding him for barking by getting up to him. It might take a while as he has now got used to you getting up at his demand.

Every little helps. I am often awake at this hour. The joys of getting older. Just have a nice cup of tea and a biscuit and get a few more hours if you can.

I'm the same ever since I joined the forces wen I was 18 , I'm 49 next month never had a lay in bed in 31 years ,

Well tried feeding later thinking that may stop him waking up. Get to 5 am now.. But then constant barking. No break nothing. Ignored him 3 days on the bounce now. He shuts up as soon as i start walking down stairs.

If you are getting really desperate there is only one other thing to try.

This is a big no no a lot of folks will tell you and its giving in and spoiling him rotten. :)

But if it's a choice between this and not getting enough sleep which will end up making you ill, it might be the only way to go. You won't be the first owner and you certainly won't be the last.

To let him sleep in your room.