A Cautionary Tale

Met up with a few mates at Pinewood today. We were standing around chatting and one mentioned that the owner of another clayground (I`m not going to say which on a public forum) has lost his SGC.

Apparently he has come in from work, along with the day`s takings. Realised he needed to go out on a quick errand and has jumped in the car to complete it. By the sounds of it he wasn`t away long but by the time he returned to the house it had been burgled. Unfortunately as well as leaving the takings out he has also neglected to put away his shotgun and the thief/thieves have also taken that.

The police have apparently taken far more interest in the matter of the shotgun being unsecured than they have in the burglary and it`s goodbye to his SGC.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know leaving a gun out is a no no , so is breaking & entering & theifing , one is a mistake the other a deliberate act from a stinking lowlife who will be out doing the same again the next day ...easier to prosecute a mistake made by an honest man than prosecute a theif it would seem ..I feel for the guy , one mistake ruins his sporting pastime for a very long time ..

I know leaving a gun out is a no no , so is breaking & entering & theifing , one is a mistake the other a deliberate act from a stinking lowlife who will be out doing the same again the next day ...easier to prosecute a mistake made by an honest man than prosecute a theif it would seem ..I feel for the guy , one mistake ruins his sporting pastime for a very long time ..

Unfortunately his one mistake may have put a shotgun into the hands of someone that may use it for a violent crime,if it had been locked up an opportunist thief would have probably not bothered to try and get into his gun cabinet.

Unfortunately his one mistake may have put a shotgun into the hands of someone that may use it for a violent crime,if it had been locked up an opportunist thief would have probably not bothered to try and get into his gun cabinet.

I accept he made a mistake & realise the possible consequences , I just wonder how many times the thief has been before a court and given another chance , more than once I would wager ..And if the thief had a mind for violence the list of weapons is endless .

should have put the gun and the takings in the cabinet as stated above would only take 2 minutes

That's what he should have done but sometimes something comes up that takes your mind of the job in hand , happens to me , unluckily for him this happened when when the consequences were far reaching ..having been burgled it boils my **** these lowlife scum affect a decent law abiding man who made a mistake /error ...If by some strange coincident the burglar gets caught I doubt his punishment is as harsh as the guy who got robbed ... What chance the guy would ever make the mistake again of leaving the gun out ..what chance the burglar re offending

Very sad, I feel sorry for whoever it is. Burglary is one of the worst crimes in my mind, it wrecks peoples lives and has far reaching effects that aren't taken into consideration when the criminals get to court. How the hell do these criminals get away with small fines and community service? They should get 10 years for a first offence and no remission, life if they ever do it again. Make sentencing a proper deterrent.

That's what he should have done but sometimes something comes up that takes your mind of the job in hand , happens to me , unluckily for him this happened when when the consequences were far reaching ..having been burgled it boils my p*** these lowlife scum affect a decent law abiding man who made a mistake /error ...If by some strange coincident the burglar gets caught I doubt his punishment is as harsh as the guy who got robbed ... What chance the guy would ever make the mistake again of leaving the gun out ..what chance the burglar re offending

well he wont make the mistake again of leaving the gun out....if he has no sgc.no guns.

If you forgot to lock your car, would the police take your licence of you and say you were never allowed another car. Both can be used to kill or injure the police should concentrate on catching the criminals that stole the firearm and not the victim of the crime.

A 22-year-old man has been charged over the death of a teenager who was struck by a stolen car on playing fields nine days ago, police said.

Edited by ordnance

Well said ordanance, if ur using a gun everyday and have done for years while it is no excuse but it can be very easy to leave a gun lying out. It shouldnae happen but things do. Have none of u honestly never left a gun ot drying?

If u believe everything u read in the papers its not really that hard to get a gun in some pubs anyway (althou will be slightly easier now)

Well said ordanance, if ur using a gun everyday and have done for years while it is no excuse but it can be very easy to leave a gun lying out. It shouldnae happen but things do. Have none of u honestly never left a gun ot drying?

If u believe everything u read in the papers its not really that hard to get a gun in some pubs anyway (althou will be slightly easier now)

+ 1 ..

There is a difference leaving your gun out drying while you are in the property to leaving your gun and a pile of money out while you pop out, it wouldn't surprise me if he had also left his front door unlocked.

There is a difference leaving your gun out drying while you are in the property to leaving your gun and a pile of money out while you pop out, it wouldn't surprise me if he had also left his front door unlocked.

Oh if he left his door unlocked it's defiantly his fault .. Deserved to be robbed ...!

Mine are locked up separately and I only get them out when I need to retrieve a gun.

Where do you keep the keys that you use to unlock where you keep your keys to unlock your gun cabinet. :) I keep mine with me at all times, my thinking as it doesn't have gun safe key and my name and address stamped on it its useless to anyone.

Edited by ordnance

If you forgot to lock your car, would the police take your licence of you and say you were never allowed another car. Both can be used to kill or injure the police should concentrate on catching the criminals that stole the firearm and not the victim of the crime.

The difference is that when we signed up to be firearms holders we agreed that there were certain responsibilities that we had to observe as part of the gig. I understand the sentiment behind your post, but it is not the same. The fact that both a car and shotgun could be used as a weapon is not the issue, it is the fact that the shotgun has to be secured, the car doesn't.

Thankfully we don't (yet) have the issue of consequential effect to have to consider or worry about, otherwise the use of the stolen gun in a crime would make him an accessory.

I completely get the point of those saying the guy was still a victim of burglary and the thief is the bad guy, but through a combination of rank bad luck, the actions of scumbag and a bit of complacency this fella has been caught out and is facing the consequences.

I have a huge amount of sympathy for the guy in the OP, but we all know that there are scummy people out there and he was careless. Desperately unlucky, but still careless and this time ran out of luck.

Shame about the door being open,

I would like to say though a locked house is suppose to be a secure area it's where your families lay there head and your prized possessions are held.

Insurance companies issue your policies on the fact your valuables are secure in your home.

The relevance or at least one of a cabinet is safety and that being your gun not getting into inexperienced hands and that of someone who is not trained properly.

A person should not be in your home without being invited. The cabinet ensures you know where the gun is at all times especially if you share your home with other people who should not be able to get hold of it.

I feel that people who are holding certificates are prosecuted under the wrong circumstances.

The guy made a mistake, one that I'm quite sure wouldn't happen again.

Sometimes education is better than persecution/ punishment.

I bet the guy, when he's caught and he will be, will not be as punished as severely as the sgc holder.

This will have a effect on the rest of his life if he loves the sport the same as I do.

so due to his slackness, theres now a shotgun in the hands of the crims.

remember to sound off your sympathies should the gun be used to murder or maim at some point.

if it had been 10k in cash or a 10k rolex would he have taken the time to lock it away?

f.

Mmnn,

well if he had been there when the "crims " broke in and they had a knife to his or his families throat or a gun to the head and said give me the keys to your gun safe then there would still be a gun in the crims hands anyway. There's guns out there that shouldn't be.

Good job he wasn't at home when he was burgled, yes he made a stupid mistake, but all the stories about people being at home and horrendous things happening to them, if they knew it was there and wanted it, I suspect they would of got it.

Edited by Neilvw82

so due to his slackness, theres now a shotgun in the hands of the crims.

remember to sound off your sympathies should the gun be used to murder or maim at some point.

if it had been 10k in cash or a 10k rolex would he have taken the time to lock it away?

f.

The guy in question left the cash out as well so it was an oversite , it wasn't a case of locking up the takings but couldn't be bothered to lock up the gun ..