A Cautionary Tale

I reckon my key is best in my pocket, on my belt or on my bedside table whilst I'm in bed........ My theory is if someone is big enough and bad enough to take it from me, the cabinet door wouldn't have lasted much longer than the time it would take to fight it from me........ Any hiding place can be found ........

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Few points: of course everyone makes mistakes. However my practice is: leaving the car -even for a second - key is coming out. Make it a habit! Automatic. Muscle memory. Also arriving home, gun is the first to go in to the cabinet. Everything else has to wait. Always. Kids, gear, wife, etc. Keys also not kept on premises, they are on a different location. So, when me not at home, no one got access to the guns. That's how I do it. Don't want to write about my key hiding technics on an open forum.

Seriously, :whistling:

I reckon my key is best in my pocket, on my belt or on my bedside table whilst I'm in bed........ My theory is if someone is big enough and bad enough to take it from me, the cabinet door wouldn't have lasted much longer than the time it would take to fight it from me........ Any hiding place can be found ........

Unless your sleeping alone , I don't think than complies with the law on not allowing access to the keys to people other than the certificate holder , as in theory the person in bed next to you has access to the keys while you are having a kip .

Unless your sleeping alone , I don't think than complies with the law on not allowing access to the keys to people other than the certificate holder , as in theory the person in bed next to you has access to the keys while you are having a kip

Unless the FEO is in bed with him I doubt he will know. :whistling:

How many farmers leave a shotgun when they get out of a tractor at harvest time whilst they nip in the house or leave them in a corner of the office

How many clay shooters leave their guns in a rack and wonder off to watch someone

I know of at least three occassions over the last five years when people have gone home after leaving their guns in the rack

Not right in all cases but we all do something stupid durring our lifetime

Most of your wives know where your keys are , even though they won't admit it. Lol. And for those who keep their keys with them at all times along with their house and car keys etc are the most at risk in my eyes . If The wrong person gets hold of them they could gain entry to your house ,gun cabinet and make of in your motor . The probability is small but it could happen and most probably has. I feel for anyone who falls victim to thieves and even though the chap in question left a gun insecure still doesn't mean he deserves to have his gun stolen or lose his ticket.

Most of your wives know where your keys are , even though they won't admit it. Lol. And for those who keep their keys with them at all times along with their house and car keys etc are the most at risk in my eyes .

How would they know what car and house the keys belonged to. ? The same would go for carrying your FAC with you helpfully showing a potential thief where you lived and listing what firearms you have in the house. :hmm:

Confiscation of guns is becoming standard police practice in such circumstances.I recently heard of a shooter who had been using a .17 to shoot rabbits and decided to go back to his car to change to another gun When he arrived he discovered a policeman waiting for him and was asked if he knew that it was an offence to leave a gun uncovered in a car - outcome guns confiscated. In fact the old idea of throwing a coat or a blanket over them as concealment is no longer acceptable as police are increasingly demanding that they be secured to the structure of the vehicle.

How would they know what car and house the keys belonged to. ? The same would go for carrying your FAC with you helpfully showing a potential thief where you lived and listing what firearms you have in the house. :hmm:

so a thief sees a man and his wife leaving a car park from a very nice car they decide to target these people for the car , they then pick pocket the gent for his keys get the car and by some amazement this very nice car has a satnav to which the home address is stored , they go to the address gain entry find a safe and decide to try the keys on the key ring. This has happened , perhaps not the whole gun bit but people do get robbed in this way.

question ...what kind of terminal stupidity would posess someone to store their home address in a sat nav in a form that is clearly identifiable as such???

if you want my keys you will have to ask jesus......

One night a burglar is trying to break into a house. He's sneaking across the lawn when he hears a voice - "Jesus is watching you!" He jumps, turns around, but he doesn't see anything. So he starts creeping across the lawn again. "Jesus is watching you!" He hears it again. So now the burglar is really looking around, and he sees a parrot in a cage by the side of the house. He says to the parrot, "Did you say that?" The parrot answers "Yes I did." So the burglar asks, "What's your name?" The parrot says "St Peter" The burglar says "What kind of stupid idiot would name his parrot St Peter?" The parrot laughs and says, "The same stupid idiot that named his Rottweiler 'Jesus' "
Edited by victorismyhero

so a thief sees a man and his wife leaving a car park from a very nice car they decide to target these people for the car , they then pick pocket the gent for his keys get the car and by some amazement this very nice car has a satnav to which the home address is stored ,

Or they could do what they do here, knock your door down and threaten to shoot you if you don't open the safe. People are over thinking this, hide the keys or keep them in your pocket.

A little tale,

A while back while acting as a sheriffs officer I went to a property,the nanny answered the door,I noticed a shotgun behind her on the table,I walked into the property and picked it up,checked it was clear and took possession of it,I called the police who came to the property,with them in attendance I had a look around the house and found two gun cabinets in a cupboard,I thought no one would be so daft but I checked the top of one cabinet and there was a set of keys that opened the other cabinet,on looking around the cupboard there was another set of keys on the top of a tool kit in the cupboard and these fitted the other cabinet,i seized a couple of shotguns and a couple of rifles plus all the ammo,oh and a pistol with the ammo and a couple of air rifles.

Are people lax with their security,it seems so,this was not the first time I had seized weapons,other times included a shotgun in a cupboard in an office above a garage at least 50 yds from the house,two shotguns and a centre fire in an office within a barn just propped up in the corner,and a centre fire in a cabinet,but the cabinet door was wide open,my colleagues have seized similar things in the past.

It is not complicated,be in control of it or lock it up.

Or they could do what they do here, knock your door down and threaten to shoot you if you don't open the safe. People are over thinking this, hide the keys or keep them in your pocket.

who's over thinking things. what about hiding them in a pocket or do I have to be wearing the pocket at the time of hiding. Or put them in your pocket then hide . Edited by jayDT10

My keys on my bedside table would make a noise and cause me to wake up if someone else picks them up....... The police check on all the people you live with as well as you.......and they are clipped to the lamp cable then as well so would make a noise being unclipped

Mine are always in my pocket ...... All hiding places can be found.........

Simple rule is don't leave a gun out which is what started this

what about if I have no pockets or my pockets have holes . I bet you tie the bottom of your trousers just incase.

Your just being a knob now

What if what if what if.

Here's the end of it. You agree to be responsible to look after your firearms as part of the licence.

If the police think your robbed n you've not been a bellend then your not at fault.

If you've left the gun sat on the table n gone to the shops then it's your own fault. Just cos other people may have done it doesn't make it excusable.

As with most things people need to take responsibility for their choices.

I know if I went out with my gun left on the table n something happened I'd lose my licence. So I don't do it. Anyone who does otherwise takes the risk n if something happens then they can't sit around complaining about being haRd done by!

Your just being a knob now

What if what if what if.

Here's the end of it. You agree to be responsible to look after your firearms as part of the licence.

If the police think your robbed n you've not been a bellend then your not at fault.

If you've left the gun sat on the table n gone to the shops then it's your own fault. Just cos other people may have done it doesn't make it excusable.

As with most things people need to take responsibility for their choices.

I know if I went out with my gun left on the table n something happened I'd lose my licence. So I don't do it. Anyone who does otherwise takes the risk n if something happens then they can't sit around complaining about being haRd done by!

banged to rights. But some idiot still responded . Lol

• 2 months later...