Kestrel in flight

poontang

Spent a quick hour at the local reservoir yesterday afternoon, but very little about.

I was sat in the car when something caught my eye...

IMGP7046.jpg

This little chap was hunting no more than 10 yards away. Unfortunately he was facing away from the sun and wasn't lit as well as I would have wanted, but I managed a few shots before he was chased off by the local gull population!

IMGP7053.jpg

I was chuffed to see him so close and he didn't seem at all bothered by my presence.

IMGP7047.jpg

IMGP7002.jpg

One of my favourite little birds, and I've often seen him in this spot, but never quite close enough.

IMGP7006.jpg

Hope you enjoy the pics.

Edited to say I quite liked the last pic so had a little play with it, I quite like the result.

f764d6ce-8ff2-41f0-8821-b162f8b9d87c.jpg

Edited by poontang

Excellent pic's. Kestrels were once in abundance hovering over a stretch of the A66 near my home town, but for many years they simply disappeared. For whatever reason I'm starting to see a few back in the same places. Nice to see.

On the very last walk of the last day of our rough shoot last January we noticed a Kestrel hovering over a bit of our marsh very low to the ground as we beat our way towards it. We all assumed before we got anywhere near it would move off, but we managed to get literally less than 10 yards away from it as it hovered around at head height; it just didn't seem to notice us at all. The closest of us to it can't have been more than 5 paces away from it. We all just stood there staring at it for a minute or so before it tipped a wing and veered off. Had never been that close to one in the wild before. Wonderful.

A bang tidy set there PT.

I am sure you will get him flying at you sooner or later.

Going of on a tangent have you manged to get that owl sorted, that you had access to? ???

Cheers

GG :good:

Thanks everyone for your kind words. Much appreciated. :good:

GG,

I've spotted a couple of the little blighters there recently, and have had the ok from the farmer to park up in his yard right opposite the nest. Unfortunately the weather has been against me the last couple of times I've paid a visit. I'm on holiday as of tomorrow lunchtime until after Easter so am hoping to get a few more hours down there. I'm also going to check out another farm which has Little Owls, Barn Owls and Buzzards nesting and hunting over the land. Am also hoping to get up top Lackford Lakes too in the hope of getting a few shots of their Kingfishers. As always however, the weather will dictate the sort of shots I can get...fingers crossed for a bit of decent light!!

Thanks everyone for your kind words. Much appreciated. :good:

GG,

I've spotted a couple of the little blighters there recently, and have had the ok from the farmer to park up in his yard right opposite the nest. Unfortunately the weather has been against me the last couple of times I've paid a visit. I'm on holiday as of tomorrow lunchtime until after Easter so am hoping to get a few more hours down there. I'm also going to check out another farm which has Little Owls, Barn Owls and Buzzards nesting and hunting over the land. Am also hoping to get up top Lackford Lakes too in the hope of getting a few shots of their Kingfishers. As always however, the weather will dictate the sort of shots I can get...fingers crossed for a bit of decent light!!

Enjoy your holiday and good luck with the light with your future projects.

GG