17hmr for fox

Phil9

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

always a head shot IMO, have had a few with .17hmr and all dropped like sack of spuds

this subject comes up quite frequently on this forum and the same things are repeated, have a search and you will see all the opinions covering this subject and whether or not its a suitable round for fox, and also that some areas say yes and others say no.

my area is fine with it for fox and ive had no complaints from the foxes ive shot with it,

happy shooting

Edited by belly47

Hi guys just a quicki,, what are ur views on shot placement when shooting a fox with a 17hmr (HEAD) (ENGINE ROOM) what are ur thoughts???

hmr is a tiny bullet so head shot only in my opinion.get summit bigger if ya want the second option.

22-250 fan on fox meself.

Depending on the distance, a fox's head is a small target, and if it made the slightest move just as you pulled the trigger, some very nasty wounds could be caused. Personally, I would not head shoot a fox, even with my 243. I would either wait until I could get a heart/lung shot, or leave it. This is just my opinion of course.

I'm not convinced the hmr is anything other than a great bunny gun. I have shot foxes with it at under 80 yards but its a very wind affected round (even at 80 yards) and if you run any amount over a chrono you'll see just how much the fps can vary. Given the small target a head presents, plus it's the most mobile part of any animal, I'd say your choice is not a go-to foxing calibre in all but the most extreme circumstances.

Better to look at something centrefire based if you want reliable kills. Just my humble opinion.

I'm not convinced the hmr is anything other than a great bunny gun. I have shot foxes with it at under 80 yards but its a very wind affected round (even at 80 yards) and if you run any amount over a chrono you'll see just how much the fps can vary. Given the small target a head presents, plus it's the most mobile part of any animal, I'd say your choice is not a go-to foxing calibre in all but the most extreme circumstances.

Better to look at something centrefire based if you want reliable kills. Just my humble opinion.

I agree, the HMR for me is a bunny gun but it can do more, conditions allowing. 243 is my first choice as I have nothing between the HMR and the 243. In a perfect world, I'd like a .222

Pretty much agree with the general run of this topic that if you want a foxing tool then the HMR doesn't really cut it, My force will no longer allow the HMR for fox but there is always the long running vermin debate on that one but I originally had it down for fox before their change of policy. If your shot placement is bang on out to 100yds then you will kill a fox stone dead but all the great claims of same hole groups have no relevance to shooting out in the field with all the variables of wind, unpredictable target and pilot error. I shot a few with mine until I shot one and it just starting running in circles and wouldn't go down, another round in the head killed it, on inspection the tiny bullet didn't expand leaving a small exit wound. The fox would have died from blood loss in the lungs but a .22 centrefire would have killed it pretty much on the spot. I now only use the 243 and have never had one do much after being hit with a 87gr v max. The hmr is best saved for the bunnies giving the advantage of a flatter trajectory over the .22rimmy.

I have found it a good tool with heart shots at sensible distances.

Same here no issues other than with the 20 grain bull try's that just went straight through. Dead foxes but ran a way, personally a pulled shot on heart lung area you have far more leeway for error. Head shot you have far more chance of injuring one in a way that will cause a lingering death. I've found it a surprisingly capable caliber under 100 yards

Depending on the distance, a fox's head is a small target, and if it made the slightest move just as you pulled the trigger, some very nasty wounds could be caused. Personally, I would not head shoot a fox, even with my 243. I would either wait until I could get a heart/lung shot, or leave it. This is just my opinion of course.

+1 very sound advice

Pretty good advice thus far and the usual differing opinions.

I have a dedicated NV rifle in .243 that is my "go to gun" for foxes (or I use the .270 during daylight hours). However I also have 2 .17 hmr rifles and have shot a number of foxes generally opting for a head shot at sensible ranges (up to 70-80 yards or so). As usual it is just making 100% sure you are confident of a good, clean and quick kill. If you are not leave them for another day.