Good times

Neilvw82

I remember years ago my father used to let me take time out of school for beating through the season, I was well known on the farm and was alway invited to the cock day, we shot there all year anyway. This season was different to the previous there was new faces on the farm, a bit gung ho from the way I had been taught and educated. I clocked on to this. It was a cold morning but the day was great we had been through three drives and over the 3 the shooting had been great. There was numerous birds shot and a right mix of a bag a few squirrels, woodcock, pigeons, crows and even a fox. The fox was shot on the second drive.

i remember it so clearly that sound as we're all walking through the wood, all of a sudden you hear it shouted, FOXXXX!!!,, I am not kidding you it sounded like World War Two, bang. BAng bang bang bang bang,.............. the fox was dead, what struck me and it had been the same through out the day is that everyone seemed to be shooting at everything's possible and sod everyone else.

After the 3rd drive we stopped for lunch in the tea room, tomato soup and sausage rolls love it. We talked about the shooting , covered the usual subjects, oh yeah I saw you hit that it was a great shot so on.

Lunch over we drive up to the next drive, we set out lovely wood I new it well, the line set off we get a hundred yards into the wood All of a sudden I see a flash through the bramble, it was a fox or was it, I couldn't be sure, I started to feel that excitement the build up. We carried on walking forward, I saw another flash it was a fox, do I shout, he had already darted straight on in front, I held back and fought the adrenalin. We carried on further and further and I didn't see him, had we missed him, had he darted down a hole I was thinking, had Mr sly fox got away, We started coming to the end of the wood and before the copse cover at the end, there was another big bush of thorns and brambles, I decided to walk straight through the middle, I was tackling brambles up to my waste, I got through the other side and saw nothing dart forward, some guy in the line next to me said bloody he'll you don't mind getting in the the thick of it do you with that, I heard a twig snap behind me, turned saw the fox go to bolt, closed the gun, 410 side by side, raised pulled the trigger, down with the first shot, then I shouted fox, and saw everyone snap there gun shut and head in my direction, the guy next to me laughed as he got the irony, the fox was already down, it was a big dog fox old boy, I remember I had mixed feelings about it, I know the damage and nuscience they can be, but they are still beautiful smart animals and I hold a lot of respect towards them.

I do feel for my dad though it was a mile or so walk back and he had to carry the thing.

The point being,I remember thinking if I had shouted out straight away, I probably would of not got a shot off, I shoot safe and smart, and I'll remember that memory till the day I die, just one of a thousand moments I have had and shared with my father, I wouldn't of had that if it was not for shooting, that's why I love it so much.

What ever your reasons enjoy your moments when your out, there's nothing else like it in the world.