How high do you want them?

JDog

Hi J Dog......I have 17HMR and 243 (I know 243 to big for rabbits), I'd love the opportunity to control his rabbits for him.....I know you don't know me, but if you'd like to accompany me a few times and ensure I'm safe I have no problems with that..I'll pick you up and cover all expenses....I'm a CPSA member so have £1m insurance......

The contradiction being you saying ,Some you do, some you don't but with the pattern density at that range it's a matter of luck, not skill (Unless you are Digweed using extra full chokes)

So you are in effect saying it can be done , but takes great skill which I agree with , anyone can use a tightly choked gun few will have the skill to consistently kill birds at that range , so its a case of having the skill or not , nothing to do with luck at all.

OK. let's try again.

With a "normally-choked" pigeon gun, (1/4 or 1/2 choke?) if a decent shooter can get the pattern to include the bird, at 60 yards, the thin pattern density will make a clean kill a matter of chance. One or two pellets will hit the bird but where? Will it be a clean kill?? Sometimes but not always.

On the other hand, a very tightly-choked gun will increase the pattern density such that IF the shooter has the skill to get the bird in the pattern, a clean kill will almost always result. However, few of us use extra full choke and very few of us, I suspect, have the skill required to get the bird inside the pattern at that range with that choke.

Any better??

My outing on Wednesday reported in this thread did get me thinking, something I do infrequently.

I have never really gone into the whole tight chokes and heavy cartridges thing. To me my guns were tools for the job and although I have always looked after my guns I have never fawned all over them nor have I fiddled around with chokes. Mine have always been fixed in any event even though I probably never knew what they were.

The pigeons I had over me on Wednesday were all heights as I said from 30m to 70m. I knew that the very high ones were out of range and I never fired at them. Some of the middle range birds, 40m to 50m birds I was tempted by. I distinctly remember at the time, when these superlative pigeons were flying overhead, what would some one who could really shoot, with tight chokes and heavy cartridges do with those pigeons?

I am too old to change my ways now and I will have to rely on my non existent decoying skills to bring the birds in closer.

For roost shooting, where the birds are well above tall trees, I use 3/4 choke and a good game cartridge, something like 32gms of No5 shot. You need the extra weight of shot to keep the shot count of the larger no5 high enough to keep a good pattern density. I have some success and some failures this way, but it's good fun trying!!

all this choke "thing"...is overated i rekon .............i was down at billy bells skeet range having a mess about on thursday....the firing pin on my side by side broke !! 2nd time in 23 years !...so i used my A303...and it had a skeet choke in it....no probs !!..............then on friday the farmer was having a paddy about the birds on his rape ...so i went down for an hour...parked the landrover in the wood and sat in the back.....i shot 12 birds for 15 cartridges...that were flicking over the trees...they were a good height and they were all dead when the dog picked them up....i was using 30gram cartridges instead of my usual 28gram so the pattern density was a little more.......skeet choke is fine for decoying......but i wouldnt feel confident on flightlining..............

Edited by ditchman