English Sporting-Why am i getting worse?

AOK

I went clay shooting for the first time last summer and enjoyed it so much that I sent off for my license and got myself a shotgun.After trying several guns I deceided on a Benelli Comfort Sport semi which I love.I have had my gun since Nov/Dec but recently my scores have been getting worse.When I 1st started I was scoring 38/39 out of 70.I was then averaging 43/46,with a high of 72%.Over the past month I have been back to the high 30's and today hit 33/70.Any advice would be grateful.Am I trying too hard,Over thinking it? I shoot with both eyes open to pick up the clay,then close my left eye to follow the clay and establish lead(I have checked eye dominance) Tnks :unhappy:

I could be one of many things .

Are you shooting the same targets at the same ground ?

Have you had you eyesight checked ?

Have you put on or lost weight ?

Even with the scores you have been getting there could be a issue with gunfit or mount , so as above a trip to a good coach should help .

Yep ,in absolute agreement with the advice already given mate have a session or two with a good coach .Its all too easy to fall into the cycle of practicing mistakes instead of sorting out the problem .

I can guarantee one thing though buddy it is ALWAYS something small and seemingly insignificant that causes the problem .Good Luck

Just to add to the above, I had a similar experience where my form completely dropped away and frustration was getting the better of me. I started to over think everything and got to the point where I was having a conversation with myself in my head every time I called for the bird.

I had an hour or two with a good coach who basically stripped everything back down to basics to help get rid of the nonsense in my head. My particular problem was barrel watching and trying so hard not to miss I was aiming the gun.

After that coaching session my practice routine was to build from the basics and I am now starting to regain form and also shoot much more confidently than I did before.

A good coach will get you back on track.

Guest Mick.j

Most people who take up clays learn quickly and there scores increase to a certain level - then hit a wall.

You seem to have answered your own question.

You will have the odd bad day, we all do, but being consistent takes time. You are still learning.

Shooting different grounds/clubs are a must, as you do get to used to the same/similar birds at one place.

Watch the good shots not the bad ones and see what they do.

Having a lesson is a good idea, but if thats not on the cards, go back to basics.

Remember the more you score the harder it is to improve.

Most people who take up clays learn quickly and there scores increase to a certain level - then hit a wall.

You seem to have answered your own question.

You will have the odd bad day, we all do, but being consistent takes time. You are still learning.

Shooting different grounds/clubs are a must, as you do get to used to the same/similar birds at one place.

Watch the good shots not the bad ones and see what they do.

Having a lesson is a good idea, but if thats not on the cards, go back to basics.

Remember the more you score the harder it is to improve.

Good advice^^^

You haven't been shooting long, have picked up quickly and are expecting too much I'd say....you're probably thinking you'll keep improving at the same rate and be scoring 90% by the summer but it doesn't work like that.

It's probably as much in your head as anything else, don't worry about a couple of poor rounds....everyone has off days.

Shooting the same ground will give you a false impression of how good you are too, try out as many different shoots as you can.

A lesson would hell you put your mind at rest and uncover any serious flaws in your technique.

Been at this game for about 14 months and my scores started to head south about 4 or 5 months in.look at http://clayshoot.blogspot.co.uk/A coaching session and an adjustable comb and they took a really good bounce in the right direction. Will probably make B classification officially next rotation and get bumped to A in my club.

Gun fit and a bit of coaching is invaluable.