Snaring Rabbits

la bala

Thinking of trying my hand at snaring, have never done it before and havnt seen it done. Will obviously do a bit of research, but thought i would ask you guys for any pointers first. Is there more than one type of snare? Do you have to bury new snares for a week? that sort of thing. Thanks for any help boys.

It's a long time since I've done any snaring, and gave it up simply because it can be time consuming and unproductive. There are many good books out there ( I have one called 'Rabbit Control' by Jackie Drakeford I think, which you can have for free if you PM me your address) and probably practical instruction online nowadays.

Longish grass is better for showing up trods where rabbits hop along each day, landing and sitting in exactly the same place on each trod. You can set your snares on these but I preferred to set them next to a fence just as they come off the grass into cover. This also gives you something solid to fasten your snare to. A badger will easily pull up a rabbit snare. Set each one about four fingers height from the ground.

I'm not up to speed regarding the legalities of snaring nowadays, apart from regular checks twice (?) daily. The NGO do some good courses on all aspects of trapping and snaring.

Snares can be bought from most gun shops, especially rural ones, or your local agricultural centre will have some.

I used to snare rabbits for pocket money as a teenager 30+ yrs ago but to be honest it's a cruel way to die and I wouldn't do it any more.

Everyone has to make their own decisions on such things but I'd rather try longnetting if I wanted to do something similar but a bit more humane.

Similar to you , used to snare them as a teenager for a bit of extra cash

Wouldn't do it now though

ok until you snare a wrong species like a badger then try and get one of them out of a snare un harmed don't forget there protected rather you than me

Set correct a badger won't be able to get his head into the noose and if it did it would just snap a rabbit snare as they are only made from soft wire with a cord tether. Twist a rabbit snare back and forth and they snap fairly easily. As Scully has said, set around 4 fingers (about 4 inches) in height on well used runs. You can see where the rabbits feet land where the grass is completely flat and where he hops as the grass isn't flattened right down, set the snare between the flattened spots where the grass isn't trodden totally flat so his head goes into the snare. Not easy to explain without actually showing someone. Try and set the snares about the same distance from the fence/hedge (not too near the fence line) and mark every 5th/10th (depending on quantity set) with a stick pushed in next to the peg maybe a foot or two high so you know when you collect them in if you have missed one as its easier to go back and check for one missing in batches of 5 or 10. Foxhunter1 has suggested a big loop and it may work for him but I have seen the big loops used and rabbits either go straight through them or get caught around the middle, I personally like to have the loop a bit bigger than a fist (not an exact measurement), slightly bigger than the head of a rabbit and also slightly pear shaped. Don't worry about burying them etc, just leave them overnight in a bucket with a couple of teabags and hot water which will take the shine and any shop/manufacturing smells off them.

I think i maybe staying with my rifle. I looked at 2 nine minute videos on snaring rabbits and virtually all the rabbits had hung themselves, it didnt look very humane. Thanks for your comments lads.

If you want to try something different get a few fenn traps , they can be very effective on rabbits.

• 2 weeks later...