info needed

the poacher

I know its not 4x4 related but a quick question I have a new shape fiesta tdci with a problem it keeps saying boot open so I took it to fords yesterday which they told me it was the boot latch they gave me a price of 150 quid supply and fit , so I thought I would try and purchase one somewhere else but no luck as its a ford part PS would anyone have any idea where to get one and do you think 100 pound is a lot of labour for the job any info on this I would appreciate ........ Thanks mark

Try local garage first. Main dealers are generally more expensive. If you are confident you can fit it yourself try eBay for the part. See if any of these match up.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xford+fiesta+boot+latch.TRS0&_nkw=ford+fiesta+boot+latch&ghostText=&_sacat=0

Guest Mick.j

Maybe a silly answer but are there any 'contacts' that may need a clean and does the boot 'fully' shut?

The contacts on the side door on my van give a similar 'door open'. A quick squirt of contact cleaner and a wipe - all sorted

Founds this which might be the problem.

There is a known concern with the Fiesta 2008.75 onwards which causes the tailgate to release without any action from the user. Often the tailgate will release whilst driving, more often when being driven over uneven surfaces or when setting off from rest.

The problem can be overcome by locking the vehicle whilst driving, however the cause is often found to be a short within the release button on the tailgate caused by water ingress into the switch. This appears to be similar to some Focus models from 2004 onwards which we understand use the same switch!

On the Fiesta, the switch fits into a plastic bezel which sits between the rear screen and the number plate recess. Water enters the cavity between the bezel and the tailgate via the gap around the rear wiper spindle however there is no drain at the base of the bezel so consequenly the switch is often left sitting in water.

Ford are aware of the problem however have no record of any modification to prevent this situation from re-occuring.

In this instance a small cut out has been made in the edge of the bezel to allow water to drain from the cavity and a protective film of grease applied around the switch in an attempt to prevent water getting into the new switch which has been fitted.

I know its not 4x4 related but a quick question I have a new shape fiesta tdci with a problem it keeps saying boot open so I took it to fords yesterday which they told me it was the boot latch they gave me a price of 150 quid supply and fit , so I thought I would try and purchase one somewhere else but no luck as its a ford part PS would anyone have any idea where to get one and do you think 100 pound is a lot of labour for the job any info on this I would appreciate ........ Thanks mark

They tested switch its all working that's why they said its the latch my boot doesn't open when travelling it just says on my dash board boot open with alarms going and throughout the night when parked up my dash lights stay on all night draining the battery all through this warning light saying boot open