Cheshire Shield Hodnet

It is a very good shoot target wise, normally at Hodnet the best ground in the country ,in my opinion.It will be busy and they normally have lots of nice glasswear as prizes.It is the Cheshire Constablary shoot so make sure your cars in order 'cause their will be plenty of bobbies around.I have 2 or 3 nice trophies that I won afew years back but I think they are better now. You will enjoy the shoot but allow lots of time. from Auntie.

I shot this last year. First of all forget about any defects on your vehicle, it may be a 'Police' shoot but it's the word SHOOT that is the clue. There was an entry of some 300 last year. As has been said, it is a fantastic ground with some very testing targets BUT all well killable with 1/4 and 1/4 and my cartridges were Hull Superfast. The catering facilities are excellent, but it was busy, so be prepared for a bit of a wait. There was also some waiting at the various stands. You will need a good range bag too. If you are at the top end of the ground, you really will not want to walk back to your car for another box of cartridges ! Suffice it to say there are Portaloos dotted around the ground, that should give you an idea of area the ground covers. I would try to get there for around 9.00am. We got caught in traffic at Runcorn bridge and got there about 10.00am. We had some eats and a drink, but then shot the 100 without a break, so DO take some bottled water with you and possibly a choc bar too. There will be some top shooters there, even though there are no cash prizes (not allowed at Police shoots). There will also be teams from other Police Forces, Armed Services and Fire Brigades along with lots of open entries. Have a great day, I feel sure you will, enjoy it for what it is, a superb ground and an excellent shoot. I am unable to go this year, much to my regret.

Cheers for the responses. I'm well used to the police shoots as I have shot against them many times around the country but for the past 2 years have missed the Hodnet shoot. Westley thanks for the tips, I will just stick to my usual 1/4 1/2, I cant be ***** with all the messing about with chokes and sometimes wish i still had a gun that was fixed. I will be travelling from south lincolnshire so will be setting off in plenty of time.

thanks again

Afternoon,

It was a really good days shooting over at west mids shooting ground with top quality targets. The weather was good if a touch cold and windy but no rain so thats all that mattered.

The first pic is of a stand that produced some really nice high clays, on report driven left to right - right to left from the top of the hill. The second had a looper that followed the curve of the hill on the left, with a left to right quartering green clay coming out from the tree line in the background finishing about 25 yards in front and right. Last pic is the grounds one eyed jack waiting for some food to fall of my plate.

B6E22786-B5B2-4A3A-9B64-463F6B2B2094_zps

50742842-9A2A-4E4F-B9B4-977EF0E00E71_zps

406DF75B-31EB-4411-83E4-0D76BF7CF193_zps

Regards

SS

Overall HG was a guy who I think is on the forum but don't know his forum name! He shot round in the team I'd put together and scored a fantastic 94. I shoot with him quite often and will try and sign him up for the N v S Charity Shoot...

Great photos Stacker Sheperd, those two were quite tasty stands, I managed to straighten both of them I'm pleased to say on my way to an 87 and the team won 2nd place in the guest team comp.

As usual at WMSG a great shoot at arguably one of the best ground in the UK.

Mr Potter

Overall HG was a guy who I think is on the forum but don't know his forum name! He shot round in the team I'd put together and scored a fantastic 94. I shoot with him quite often and will try and sign him up for the N v S Charity Shoot...

Great photos Stacker Sheperd, those two were quite tasty stands, I managed to straighten both of them I'm pleased to say on my way to an 87 and the team won 2nd place in the guest team comp.

Mr Potter

Pete by any chance Mr P ?

Mr Potter

Graham?

:shaun:

Sorry Ian, didn't spot your post before I replied to Magman.

No, 15 stands and all bar one totally different. Only one that stayed the same was the last one we shot on the 5th, simo pair. lowish fast left to right looper and low incomer that could "hide" behind one of the forks of a tree directly in front of you. Ref told us that if we couldn't get a shot off because it was behind the tree trunk it would be scored lost NOT a no bird. We all took the incomer first then quickly onto the looper. I missed the first incomer by rushing it then realised I had a bit more time than I thought on the second bird. So that was one of the seven stands that I was one away on....

Andy