Landrover series Fairey over drive

bubble

Loving my new [to me] series 3 landie

It goes everywhere at 50 mph, and thats OK :good:

But............

Would you recommend fitting an overdrive, and, have you any advice about getting & fitting one

Better still do you know where one might be for sale?

kind regds in advance

post-67182-0-90183000-1427051891_thumb.jpg

Neil

When I was in to my series land rovers they went for a few hundred quid,

Not sure that you'd save that much in fuel to justify the expense ?

Might make for full speed travelling a little less stressed (engine not you) and a little quieter.

Tidy looking motor, has it been restored ?

Tidy looking motor, has it been restored ?

Yes it has had thousands spent on it about 6 years ago, every item refurbished or replaced, galv chassis, bulk head etc etc.......................

It has to go in the garage for insurance purposes

Idiot that I am, I am not keen on getting it dirty, might have boobed me thinks, a 4 wheel drive that is too good to be rough with

I bought it last month, already done

hey ho

I have just bought myself a series and have been looking into an overdrive, but a lot of people are saying they are more hassle than they are worth, very whiney, expensive, remembering to take it out when in first and second, a better option I am told is to fit classic Range Rover diff.

If you get a worn one, they do certainly whine, using it in appropriate gear becomes second nature.

Ooh, that pic takes me back to my first landy, a Series II on a G plate. Same colour, truck cab and the headlights had been moved to the wings by a previous owner. It was being used as a chicken coup when I bought it so it looked a bit different to yours! Many months of love and restoration (and a few grand) and it was back to running order, it's still going to this day!

Lovely landy. Good luck with the overdrive, they do make a difference but I always thought the cost to be quite prohibitive.

I had a Fairey overdrive on my series 3. I would say that they are good, but you have to make sure you get a good one which might not be that easy. They are usually found for sale on EBay with prices around £400. If you are doing lots of longish journeys then it's probably worth it, but if you are generally doing short distances then I wouldn't bother. Even with the overdrive you probably wouldn't want to go much over 50mph because of the problems of stopping them!!

I had Discovery diffs in mine which made a bit of difference to top speed.

Nice looking Landrover, I'd spend some money on a security device, they are unfortunately, easily stolen.

I had a Fairey overdrive on my series 3. I would say that they are good, but you have to make sure you get a good one which might not be that easy. They are usually found for sale on EBay with prices around £400. If you are doing lots of longish journeys then it's probably worth it, but if you are generally doing short distances then I wouldn't bother. Even with the overdrive you probably wouldn't want to go much over 50mph because of the problems of stopping them!!

I had Discovery diffs in mine which made a bit of difference to top speed.

Nice looking Landrover, I'd spend some money on a security device, they are unfortunately, easily stolen.

Very true. The Series 3 & 90-110 owners club forum I go on has a Land Rover Watch section which makes heartbreaking reading of the ones stolen. Some had been owned over 20 years until scum took them. A Thatcham approved disklok is a good quick start on making them harder to nick.

Very true. The Series 3 & 90-110 owners club forum I go on has a Land Rover Watch section which makes heartbreaking reading of the ones stolen. Some had been owned over 20 years until scum took them. A Thatcham approved disklok is a good quick start on making them harder to nick.

Because of its value it has to be garaged and it has a thatchem immobiliser

Disc lock......... yep got one of too

fingers crossed

Because of its value it has to be garaged and it has a thatchem immobiliser

Disc lock......... yep got one of too

fingers crossed

Have you joined a club yet. I get 25% discount on my insurance with my club membership. Also got for an extra £15 and filling a form in with pictures of my Landy an agreed valuation valid for the year and then renewable each year. Much better than GAP insurance.

A tilt switch alarm is also good, stops them trying to hoist or tow it away.

You can also get an easily fitted bonnet lock which is very discrete to keep them out the electrics.

Edited by loriusgarrulus

Have you joined a club yet. I get 25% discount on my insurance with my club membership. Also got for an extra £15 and filling a form in with pictures of my Landy an agreed valuation valid for the year and then renewable each year. Much better than GAP insurance.

A tilt switch alarm is also good, stops them trying to hoist or tow it away.

You can also get an easily fitted bonnet lock which is very discrete to keep them out the electrics.

To tell the truth I'm a bit new to this landie thing

I went to a classic car auction to look at three rough series 3 landies at circa £2500 and some bubble cars............... but I saw this one and ended up buying it. :whistling:

Always fancied one since I drove a V8/series 3 fire engine landrover, many moons ago, at an aerodrome and loved it. It would deliver 1000 litres of water anywhere on site within 90 secs [ as opposed to the green goddess that it replaced, which would deliver water where and when it decided :rolleyes: ]

never did put a fire out though :lol:

So..... which club?

Tilt alarm noted

regds neil

http://www.thelandroverclub.co.uk/index.html

This is the club I joined which gave me 25% off at Lancaster Insurance. There is a nice forum attached with lots of folks well up on Series Land Rovers and what you can do with them. Membership is £20 per year if you have the magazine emailed.

I have the Military Wolf XD 90. He is called Ajax the Warrior. :)

Edited by loriusgarrulus

One of the joys of owning a Series. Took the dog for her morning walk, put the land rover in reverse nothing, out and in again nothing. This suggested to me half shaft but there had been no bang. Anyway put it in high range fwd and limped it home. Got the wife letting clutch out while i watched rear prop, yep half shaft. Dropped the diff oil, this looked ok. Pulled the nearside half shaft first, bingo right first time, it had lost about 45mm which it had left in the star wheel. Pulled the other shaft out, dropped rear prop, and out with diff. Everything ordered, should be back on road in couple of days. You either love them or hate them. :lol:

post-52836-0-92769500-1427139236_thumb.jpg

post-52836-0-03241600-1427139280_thumb.jpg