What are they?

cloudwalker

We were out yesterday in Beds on some barley spring drillings. Not many pigeon about but all of a sudden i spotted a large flock of birds approaching the field. From a distance they looked like pigeon but they weren't flying right. They were swooping about like a large mass of starlings in the autumn. One large mass all flying in unison.

As they flew over me they looked about the same size as a pigeon but with swept back wings, like a swift. Eventually they landed on mass and started to feed. Even the odd shot didn't seem to bother them. They lifted and circled the field and dropped down again.

I think they were some sort of wader but can't work out what they would be in the middle of Bedfordshire.

Any ideas on what they were? There must of been between 500- 700 in the flock.

Golden plover spend winters all over the south of England. I usually see the first ones in October and I know very well the locations of several large resident flocks from October to the end of March.

Whether they go off the Northern Europe and Scandinavia I cannot say but many migrate to the uplands, that is the Pennines, The Borders and Scotland to breed.

Golden plover without a doubt . I have been shooting my friends farms for the past 40 years . We have one field that a huge flock of golden plovers visit every year in October.I have watched them over the years and have spent many an hour sitting in the truck drinking coffee and studying these lovely birds and no ,they have never been shot at .

Harnser

Columba Grey, ringed plover are mainly coastal marsh and beach birds and apart from a few fields next to the sea where they may form a high tide roost not a common sight inland and certantly not in the numbers cloud walker is talking about. His birds are almost certantly golden plover , a bird that can be very common inland. I often get in excess of a thousand birds on my shoot.

Edited by anser2