Another flintlock!

Underdog

Yes I got another boys! Thought I better before the rush and prices go up!

It is a Pedersoli Bess carbine in .750 and it showers sparks like it is Guy Fawkes night! Kind on the flint too.

The photos.

DSCN1150_zpsc6id22b4.jpg

DSCN1155_zpsnhsfrmcj.jpg

DSCN1154_zpskpdpqyhy.jpg

The fox tail by the way was cured with tea leaf from a tea bag and washed in the tail with meths.

Underdog.

There's 'something' about having to manually cock a piece prior to firing which appeals, and while I've always had a thing for hammer guns it's always been no further back then percussion for actual use. Saying that I can see the appeal in a flintlock though.

Now and again we would have 'open' days at our rifle and pistol club where we would invite a local clay shooting club to have a go. They would bring a trap or two and shotguns, and we'd supply the handguns and rifles. Amongst other firearms we had Snider-Enfield .577, Martini-Henry, Westley Richards Monkey-tail carbines (all original) plus repros and various handguns in BP and smokeless. The clay shooters loved it.

howdy u.d. longtime no speaky, i got me a bess last week, india pattern i believe? and u know me, bargain price time again.lol. i got a few others since i last spoke too, ill pm you details if like. speak soon, lovely pics by the way.

Brill. Sounds like you have the bug too. Put the pics here bud :-)

had the buss from a gunsmiths in cannock, great price, bit worse for wear looking when i purchased it, well rusty in usual areas around the lock and touch hole and light pitting along barrel,sticky feel to stock from dirt build up over years, a quick polish to barrel and parts then stock got rub down with wire wool and a good rub of stock oil to bring it back to life,polished the brass fittings too, usure of age prob 70's or a bit earlier, its in 8gauge so realy rocks the place when 130gr of powder and 1.5oz shot is loaded.

got the bess in a similar condition as buss but stock was worse, cracked and brush finished in brown varnish that looked like the surface of an old "78" record, i applied the same work to it as buss and they both look ok now, :good: . its in .750 cal, unsure of make but says india under the barrel and dated 25/07/1979. ....thanks u,d.

dave.

Edited by clayboster