A couple of blasts from the past

Scully

Was having a ratch through some drawers and came across these pic's, for those who may be interested.

d82dd000-78d8-461c-ac3c-0a176955a2c1_zps

This was my S&W New Departure Safety Hammerless .38 S&W. Handed in to York Guns by an old dear sometime in the 1980's. It had belonged to her husband who had bought it as his personal sidearm as a Subaltern of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers in The Great War. It came complete with it's original holster and was a gorgeous little gun.

For some reason the others haven't loaded. Will do so later if anyone's interested.....and can be bothered. Have man flu and my face is melting. :unhappy:

Edited by Scully

Many thanks. OH doesn't realise how ill I am.....'it doesn't seem to stop you going out with the dog and your gun' says she. She came home early and saw me getting out of vehicle with gunslip and dog. Damn. :whistling: Have just found this also:

Img0017_zpsps7cu2nh.jpg

This belonged to a bloke who was a regular guest on a large shoot on which I used to beat many years ago. He drove a Land Rover Vogue and had made his money after winning the contract to do the livery on BT vehicles back whenever.

He was a grand bloke and always turned up with a huge gala pie and a catering jar of Colmans English mustard and rolled out a cloth on the tail gate of his Vogue where he would cut the pie into chunks for the beaters with the biggest Opinel knife I'd ever seen.

He went to Belgium to have this gun fitted and built for him, and although I'm not one for engraved actions or gold triggers, this was very impressive, and the first coloured engraving I'd seen. Believe it or not, the top rib had started to peel away from the top barrel at the muzzle and he had it taped on with masking tape.

He was going back to Belgium at close of season to have it repaired. Nice bloke.

The 'Cowgirls' are the design on his slip.

And this:

Img0024_zpswxggu2yr.jpg

And this:

Img0023_zpshaiurr90.jpg

This was mine also. It is a Colt 1911A1 .45ACP with a series 80 barrel and was customised by Ferrand Custom Works, Blackburn, Lancs. Or was it Bolton? No matter.

It was my Practical pistol and all the ancillaries like ambidextrous release, safety, extended beavertail grip-safety, magazine release button were all browned rather than blued. It also had a flat main spring housing, Pachmeyers and LPA sights. A thing of beauty; which isn't too apparent in the picture unfortunately.

The thick rubber block on the base of the mag' is to prevent it getting ruined when released. It was great for skittles and falling plate.

cdef291d-fb06-4c97-bf37-ca3418677a89_zps

This was mine also. It is a Colt 1911A1 .45ACP with a series 80 barrel and was customised by Ferrand Custom Works, Blackburn, Lancs. Or was it Bolton? No matter.

It was my Practical pistol and all the ancillaries like ambidextrous release, safety, extended beavertail grip-safety, magazine release button were all browned rather than blued. It also had a flat main spring housing, Pachmeyers and LPA sights. A thing of beauty; which isn't too apparent in the picture unfortunately.

The thick rubber block on the base of the mag' is to prevent it getting ruined when released. It was great for skittles and falling plate.

//<![CDATA[

(function(){var g=this,h=function(b,d){var a=b.split("."),c=g;a[0]in c||!c.execScript||c.execScript("var "+a[0]);for(var e;a.length&&(e=a.shift());)a.length||void 0===d?c[e]?c=c[e]:c=c[e]={}:c[e]=d};var l=function(b){var d=b.length;if(0<d){for(var a=Array(d),c=0;c<d;c++)a[c]=b[c];return a}return[]};var m=function(b){var d=window;if(d.addEventListener)d.addEventListener("load",b,!1);else if(d.attachEvent)d.attachEvent("onload",b);else{var a=d.onload;d.onload=function(){b.call(this);a&&a.call(this)}}};var n,p=function(b,d,a,c,e){this.f=b;this.h=d;this.i=a;this.c=e;this.e={height:window.innerHeight||document.documentElement.clientHeight||document.body.clientHeight,width:window.innerWidth||document.documentElement.clientWidth||document.body.clientWidth};this.g=c;this.b={};this.a=[];this.d={}},q=function(b,d){var a,c,e=d.getAttribute("pagespeed_url_hash");if(a=e&&!(e in b.d))if(0>=d.offsetWidth&&0>=d.offsetHeight)a=!1;else{c=d.getBoundingClientRect();var f=document.body;a=c.top+("pageYOffset"in window?window.pageYOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollTop);c=c.left+("pageXOffset"in window?window.pageXOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollLeft);f=a.toString()+","+c;b.b.hasOwnProperty(f)?a=!1:(b.b[f]=!0,a=a<=b.e.height&&c<=b.e.width)}a&&(b.a.push(e),b.d[e]=!0)};p.prototype.checkImageForCriticality=function(b){b.getBoundingClientRect&&q(this,b)};h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkImageForCriticality",function(b){n.checkImageForCriticality(b)});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkCriticalImages",function(){r(n)});var r=function(b){b.b={};for(var d=["IMG","INPUT"],a=[],c=0;c<d.length;++c)a=a.concat(l(document.getElementsByTagName(d[c])));if(0!=a.length&&a[0].getBoundingClientRect){for(c=0;d=a[c];++c)q(b,d);a="oh="+b.i;b.c&&(a+="&n="+b.c);if(d=0!=b.a.length)for(a+="&ci="+encodeURIComponent(b.a[0]),c=1;c<b.a.length;++c){var e=","+encodeURIComponent(b.a[c]);131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e)}b.g&&(e="&rd="+encodeURIComponent(JSON.stringify(s())),131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e),d=!0);t=a;if(d){c=b.f;b=b.h;var f;if(window.XMLHttpRequest)f=new XMLHttpRequest;else if(window.ActiveXObject)try{f=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP")}catch(k){try{f=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")}catch(u){}}f&&(f.open("POST",c+(-1==c.indexOf("?")?"?":"&")+"url="+encodeURIComponent(b)),f.setRequestHeader("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded"),f.send(a))}}},s=function(){var b={},d=document.getElementsByTagName("IMG");if(0==d.length)return{};var a=d[0];if(!("naturalWidth"in a&&"naturalHeight"in a))return{};for(var c=0;a=d[c];++c){var e=a.getAttribute("pagespeed_url_hash");e&&(!(e in b)&&0<a.width&&0<a.height&&0<a.naturalWidth&&0<a.naturalHeight||e in b&&a.width>=b[e].k&&a.height>=b[e].j)&&(b[e]={rw:a.width,rh:a.height,ow:a.naturalWidth,oh:a.naturalHeight})}return b},t="";h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.getBeaconData",function(){return t});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run",function(b,d,a,c,e,f){var k=new p(b,d,a,e,f);n=k;c&&m(function(){window.setTimeout(function(){r(k)},0)})});})();pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run('/mod_pagespeed_beacon','http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?app=forums&module=ajax&section=topics&do=quote&t=308542&p=2786564&md5check=7e6a95ceb4bb066eb4cfcba67668b3cb&isRte=1,l8PuqRhht8,true,false,HWkVJPREmLU');

//]]>cdef291d-fb06-4c97-bf37-ca3418677a89_zps

Just like mine back in the day. Really miss mine

And another view:

<script pagespeed_no_defer="">//=d.offsetWidth&&0>=d.offsetHeight)a=!1;else{c=d.getBoundingClientRect();var f=document.body;a=c.top+("pageYOffset"in window?window.pageYOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollTop);c=c.left+("pageXOffset"in window?window.pageXOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollLeft);f=a.toString()+","+c;b.b.hasOwnProperty(f)?a=!1:(b.b[f]=!0,a=a<=b.e.height&&c<=b.e.width)}a&&(b.a.push(e),b.d[e]=!0)};p.prototype.checkImageForCriticality=function(b){b.getBoundingClientRect&&q(this,b)};h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkImageForCriticality",function(b){n.checkImageForCriticality(b)});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkCriticalImages",function(){r(n)});var r=function(b){b.b={};for(var d=["IMG","INPUT"],a=[],c=0;c=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e)}b.g&&(e="&rd="+encodeURIComponent(JSON.stringify(s())),131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e),d=!0);t=a;if(d){c=b.f;b=b.h;var f;if(window.XMLHttpRequest)f=new XMLHttpRequest;else if(window.ActiveXObject)try{f=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP")}catch(k){try{f=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")}catch(u){}}f&&(f.open("POST",c+(-1==c.indexOf("?")?"?":"&")+"url="+encodeURIComponent(b)),f.setRequestHeader("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded"),f.send(a))}}},s=function(){var b={},d=document.getElementsByTagName("IMG");if(0==d.length)return{};var a=d[0];if(!("naturalWidth"in a&&"naturalHeight"in a))return{};for(var c=0;a=d[c];++c){var e=a.getAttribute("pagespeed_url_hash");e&&(!(e in b)&&0=b[e].k&&a.height>=b[e].j)&&(b[e]={rw:a.width,rh:a.height,ow:a.naturalWidth,oh:a.naturalHeight})}return b},t="";h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.getBeaconData",function(){return t});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run",function(b,d,a,c,e,f){var k=new p(b,d,a,e,f);n=k;c&&m(function(){window.setTimeout(function(){r(k)},0)})});})();pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run('/mod_pagespeed_beacon','http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?s=60226979a90515883f24a8ea633417c1&app=forums&module=ajax§ion=topics&do=quote&t=308542&p=2786566&md5check=d15fb09b26cda0320f95cd2e444a1ab5&isRte=1,l8PuqRhht8,true,false,W52ppX4fw_I'); //]]></script>IMG_0023_zpswch9ivrs.jpg&&0![cdata[>

when we went to the states last year, we went to one of the ranges. of all the guns that were there this was the one i had wanted to shoot the most! my absolute favourite handgun of all time.

to be fair to the people at the range, they suggested i work up to it as i hadnt shot a handgun since i was about 14. glad i did in fairness, what a beast!

i was lucky enough to get talking to one of the locals there who had a salient arms 1911 which he allowed me to shoot... it was a black and white difference from the standard model, but with a price to reflect it. $10000 on a hand gun.... crazy!

![cdata[>![cdata[>