Found a bullet

Rst1990

Oh for goodness sake - 16 replies and none of you have noticed that it's a "cartridge"???

The bullet is the hard thing in the front of the case, designed to make a mess of people and light armour.

sodium carbonate (washing soda) will neutralize the primer.

Certainly won't, as it's almost certainly a mercury fulminate based primer, not one of the more modern styphnate or azide primers (which everyone says can be deactivated by sodium carbonate, but again, can't because the priming compound is plasticised and therefore impervious to aqueous solutions) but let's ignore that for now. With any luck though, it'll have degraded over the years it's been "lost" and won't be dangerous, but you never know.

Come on chaps - give him some better (i.e. accurate) advice please. He should either keep it and get a better house insurance policy, or have it made safe by a competent armourer and returned for cleaning.

Edited by neutron619

The question is do you err on the side of caution and assume that it's live and old....... Where my house and hands are concerned I'd like to know it's not full of old powder. As has been mentioned if it is then there is an offence there as well to think about.....

"With any luck though, it'll have degraded over the years it's been "lost" and won't be dangerous, but you never know."

So its safe, or its not safe,

Is it a Question or is it a statement ?

Hey who knows :lol:

A statement, clearly :)

To rephrase, I was simply saying that I hope that he's not placing himself in any danger because I hope it may not be live any longer, but that neither I nor anyone has any real way of knowing without trying to fire it - which would of course be a stupid thing to do.

Simples.

Edited by neutron619

Gentlemen

A high percentage of these rounds were tracers, so there would also be that to think about as well as an old primer and the original propelant.

Usual advice is to hand it in at your local Police Station.

Unfortunately it will then be destroyed by the local service EOD unit.