Found a bullet

Rst1990

"With any luck though, it'll have degraded over the years it's been "lost" and won't be dangerous, but you never know."

So its safe, or its not safe,

Is it a Question or is it a statement ?

Hey who knows :lol:

it will still go off ...trust me....i used to pick them off a field where i lived where a flying fortress crashed, and deactivate them by sticking them in my dads vice ...pulling the bullet out of the case...and emptying the charge which we set fire to and then knocking the primer out with a 6" nail...and boy did they go off...made your ears ring for half an hour....then we used to give them to this old boy who used to make petrol lighters out of them...

hah the things we used to do as lads !!

Lol, though to be fair to the chap, at least he'd be at the party and not banged up for illegal possession of ammunition.... :innocent:

Find me a policeman who would arrest you for possession of a single rusty old round, or a judge who would throw the book at you... I'd eat my hat.

Oh for goodness sake - 16 replies and none of you have noticed that it's a "cartridge"???

The bullet is the hard thing in the front of the case, designed to make a mess of people and light armour.

Someone's got sand in their jack and Danny then ???

Chill man :) it's just a name. Either way it could be dangerous tho I won't denie that and prob best handed in

Edited by team tractor

Nice find but very dangerous. That round will go through an engine block at 1000 metres, through four terraced houses when fired from a p51 mustang. Thats why they're still in use today. I wouldn't want it on my mantle place.

You make it sound like it's the only dangerous round in existence.

Outside of the barrel of a gun, it's about as dangerous as a large french banger.

Edited by Billy.

• 2 weeks later...

There are many SCUBA divers who, over many years, have recovered ammunition off of shipwrecks. Some small calibre and quite a few larger calibres. I suspect that many of the divers are not gun owners and so are blissfully unaware of the legal implications. Most knock the heads off and empty out the powder and polish up the brass. But the dets are most probably still intact!

Prossibly about 15 yrs ago I found a large'ish round and not wanting to ascend with extra weight put it in a goody bag and sent it up on an airbag for my buddies to recover. On getting back into the boat I asked where it was. A lady club member had thrown it back as it had started to "fizz" and she thought it would go bang. What we think may have been happening was that the pressure inside round having laid at about 40 mtrs for about 45 years was different from the atmospheric pressure at the surface and pressure equalisation was taking place with air migrating between the casing and the projectile. That said, she was the sensible one. But blokes do these sort of things.

Personally I have no such relics anymore. They're back from whence they came. But well away from wrecks and unlikely to be found.