Scope basics please

kapow

I am new to shooting with 2 air rifles to date,a springer and pcp

When I bought the rifles I was asked what would I be using for as regards to the scope choice.

both scopes are side parallax adjustable,i was shown some with front adjustment but preferred the prior

I understand the parallax adjustment as I shoot targets at 30 and 50 yards so far and can see how it needs adjustment for each

What I do not understand is scopes with no parallax adjustment

When would you choose that over adjustable? I will be shooting targets at 30,50 and 100 yds,could I use a fixed paralallax scope

I ask be cause I wanted to get a better quality scope and looked at leapolds,these seem to be fixed

would really like to understand the workings/usage of fixed parallax types OR the type where no numbered lens ring or turret is present,incase I have got the fixed parallax term wrong

Awaiting FAC so looking at scopes for 22lr

Would like to jump up a bit on quality and these tend to have no parallax adjustment

I do not know if the "fixed" type say leupold vx2 OR redfield revolution will suit my usage

mainly 30 and 50 yds ,100yds at occasions

Don't understand how the above type of scope can be in focus at different distances

Sorry for my ignorance but I am out my depth on the optic side of the hobby/sport

standard 12ft lb will get to 100 so it makes no difference really if its fac or not.

It might get there, but accuracy is out the window, plus power will be down to about 2-3 ft lb ,so no good for quarry at that range.

Even a 35 ft lb FAC air rifle is only good for about 70 yards.

I am getting a FAC and will be using 12lb air rifles and 22lr,this post on scopes was solely to do with scope choice on a 22lr.

see a lot of zeiss and leupold on rifles with no parallax adjustment a wanted to know the workings of them

Keep your scopes as simple as possible, you don't need the reticule to be too busy, mil dot is fine, and you will use the dots for your drops at certain ranges.

I used a Simmons pro hunter 3-9x40 (there were not many with dots or stuff then :lol: ) on my Rapid with great success for quite a number of years for daytime and lamping. Allot will obviously depend on budget.

As for parallax, never use one with it on for air rifles. The field target lads do but thats for range finding only, If after rabbits you dont really want to be faffing about with parallax, just point and shoot. Judging range comes with practice :good: