Roost shooting

roadkill

No, not by a long chalk. Was out yesterday with dog with the intention of just having a quick wander so only took half a dozen cartridges with me. Walking along top edge of wood on rough shoot there were blinking' pigeons all over the place.

You can soon get through 6 cartridges. :yes: It was a long walk back to farm with nothing to shoot.

Even when the leaf is fully on you can still "roost shoot" by making use of the flight lines that the birds use to get to the wood. Obviously it depends on the situation but, as an example, I have a 22 acre wood which is mature but very densely planted firs. It is impossible to shoot effectively within the boundaries of the plantation as there is only one open ride and birds are across it before you can get your gun up. This wood is LOVED by pigeons all year round so I had to find a way to shoot it.

I watched the flight lines and stuck up a temporary hide on a grass field about 50 yards outside the wood underneath the strongest line. Had some initial success but it was windless on the first day and the line was wide so I spent most of my time watching them pour in over a 200 yard front. Next time out I used two rotors near the hide and this was very much more effective. Then I made a permanent hide from pallets stuffed with fir boughs which are freshened up from time to time. I plan to be in it again on Saturday!

If you watch pigeons you will normally have a good chance of finding a way of getting to grips with them. Good luck.

I find roost shooting very frustrating because wherever I seem to stand the blighters always seem to come in just out of range. Three weekends ago there were loads coming in bunches of 10s and 20s. The next weekend they were down to 10s and this last weekend it was a few. This means that for any amount of birds coming in the amount of presented targets becomes less due to the fact that incoming birds don’t get to see other birds flying around the wood which is really like a massive rotary magnet to other incoming birds. As I have driven home from work most days I have noticed that they have diversified to all sorts of feeding areas from hedges, lawns and grass verges to fields that are still stubble from last year but that have not been tilled yet to small flocks that are obviously still on the rape. As previously written >> If you can see them you can shoot at them.