Tracking

darren m

looking to get the tracking done on my daughters fiesta this weekend.

got no one local that I know off so

thinking maybe , Halfords , national tyres , kwik fit , formula one -- that sort of thing

anyone used any of these type companies for wheel tracking , any thoughts

I had my tracking done at Kwik fit because my tyres were wearing unevenly. They had it set up on a computer screen in the cafe room they have and I watched it come into alignment on a screen there as they did it. Got the before and after printouts. Was a few years back so can't remember cost. The car a Skoda was better on tyres after it was done.

I had my tracking done at Kwik fit because my tyres were wearing unevenly. They had it set up on a computer screen in the cafe room they have and I watched it come into alignment on a screen there as they did it. Got the before and after printouts. Was a few years back so can't remember cost. The car a Skoda was better on tyres after it was done.

Knowing Kwik Fit, they probably then told you that you needed to change your dangerous brakes, and wheels and battery....

I think they must work on commission.

one of my old colleagues here used to be a 'kwik fit fitter' when he was younger and told us about how they got bonuses on things. IIRC there is a chap on here who used to work there too.

My mum popped in once to get a tire and they tried telling her that her brake pads and disks were shot and she should have them replaced or be in fear of crashing... she just let them know that her husband had only had the brakes done a few months back and to do one.

I think they must work on commission.

All of the major fast fit chains pay poor wages and operate a commission scheme for fitters.

Depots have sales targets set for each item or service sold, upto and then over and above the target number.

Sales upto these target result in a basic level of bonus, above these levels and there's more bonus to be shared amongst the staff.

Staff are actively encouraged To 'sell up' and to promote the products with the highest profit margins.

Certain services such as tracking has a greater profit margin as they are merely providing a service and not actually providing a product or item.

Formula 1 are really good we use them for all our geometry work I can only speak for the bristol branch but they should all have the latest gear

I tried to get the tracking done in my Camaro and none of the big companies could help as "computer says no" , something to do with 4 wheel Alinement apparently, ended up at the local lorry tyre fitters in the end

Most computers have pretty much all car on but imported stuff can be a ball ache especially if the steering wheel is on the wrong side probably a fob off

I do mine myself to tell you the truth with a piece of string and a tape measure. and yes it works no need for a laptop or a single laser.

I've done track rod ends complete steering racks. and all you need is the toe in or toe out info and do the measurements. I did not know you have to plug the car in to do the tracking lol

also is 4 wheel alignment just a gimmick as how many cars have fully adjustable suspension so how will they alter it except replace the whole lot ??????

Edited by fruitloop

I do mine myself to tell you the truth with a piece of string and a tape measure. and yes it works no need for a laptop or a single laser.

I've done track rod ends complete steering racks. and all you need is the toe in or toe out info and do the measurements. I did not know you have to plug the car in to do the tracking lol

also is 4 wheel alignment just a gimmick as how many cars have fully adjustable suspension so how will they alter it except replace the whole lot ??????

It's 2015 you couldn't do tracking properly in the 40's with a bit of string at very very least you would need a set of trammel gauges

Lasers are simply more accurate and you allways do 4 wheel nowadays you can't set the front up if theres a difference in the rear

STS tyre pros, I have used the one in Hertford and Letchworth. Both times no hassle just drive straight in and on the ramps, nice cup of coffee and no bull **** sales tactics.

The one in letchworth i took a lowered Clio Sport and the bloke new the standard settings would cause problems so took an educated guess and got it spot on.

Edited by ferguson_tom

It's 2015 you couldn't do tracking properly in the 40's with a bit of string at very very least you would need a set of trammel gauges

Lasers are simply more accurate and you allways do 4 wheel nowadays you can't set the front up if theres a difference in the rear

hi jonny I did then got it checked at the local tyre garage and was told it was spot on . so I was asking how do you alter the camber on the rear axle ??

Edited by fruitloop

I worked for kwikfit back when I was about 25 and couldn't stick it long as their working practices went against all had learned in a small garage environment ..by that I mean in a small local garage they want all of their customers to bring them ALL the work on their cars regardless of what the job is even doing small 2 min thing for free to build up a good customer / garage relationship .

then you have have kwikfits way of working which is they look at you as being a one time customer so hit for as much as you can get out of that one visit to the point where when I was there once a month there would be a guy from head office turn up and give us a sales seminar style talk complete with flip charts etc and instructions on how to increase depot profit as each depot used to get a profit share scheme to boost fitters wages

we had " prime targets" who if you convinced them that their car was a danger to drive would more likely than authorise the repair with out a price quote .

they were

1. lone women drivers

2. lone women drivers with children / babies on board

3 elderly drivers

I,ll end it there as I could go on and on about the terrible way they conducted things when I was there

but back to the OP kwikfit do have [or used to ] the most up to date equipment so if you do go just make it plain to the guy behind the desk that you are there to get the tracking done and that is all and to tell the fitter not to bother looking for other work i.e brakes tyres shockers ect

Edited by hodge911

Many modern cars have multi-link rear suspension with adjustable toe and camber.

took a car to kwik fit years ago for a price for an exhaust, I laughed my head in front of the guy that gave me the price and asked if it was an offer to buy the car off me. It was a 10 year old Fiat Punto, he quoted me £140.00 :lol:

"that's for a complete system" he said I said i would rather torch it that pay him that, and left.

It cost me £47 from a place in Derby,

well we took the fiesta to formula one and they did the tracking and shown us on the graph how much it was out and how much they adjusted it.

it was out a fair bit to be honest , but only cost us £40 .

problem is its still the same !!! what else can it be , MOT was done last month and no probs .

it seems to vibrate up the colunm to the steering wheel and you can feel it skipping when going over pot holes, drain covers etc , also does this sometimes when braking

what should I be looking at next

well we took the fiesta to formula one and they did the tracking and shown us on the graph how much it was out and how much they adjusted it.

problem is its still the same !!! what else can it be , MOT was done last month and no probs .

it seems to vibrate up the colunm to the steering wheel and you can feel it skipping when going over pot holes, drain covers etc , also does this sometimes when braking

Weak damper, (allows the wheel to bounce as it travels along,)

Possibly broken or poorly seated coil spring

Edited by TaxiDriver

A refund !! Take it back. Th