Rape last Sat...

pbutd

When you get a day off you want to make the most of it! Set off early for a 2 hour drive south to a friend's farm ;He'd been drilling spring barley for the last 2 weeks & their ground is particularly flinty which usually results in a lot of grain flicked onto the surface.On the blower he'd said there were quite a few flitting about over the last few days,although he's getting so deaf now that he could have been talking about something quite different?

Arrived 8'ish & had a cup of tea with JC who then took me around the farm on his mule.Froze to death as no windscreen & there was a biting northerly wind.There were 40-50 on most of the drilled fields & so we stopped to glass the horizons to see if we could work out any decent flightlines?As we watched a gas gun went off 3 times on a neighbouring farm & 2-300 bids got off JC's rape hidden behind 3 strips of woodland.During the next 15 mins there was a steady influx of birds back onto the rape & to the adjacent trees.JC dropped me back at my truck as he couldn't join me before lunchtime & I made an executive decision to set up on the rape rather than any of the drilled fields.

Set up with breeze to my back & sun straight across my front, so I put the whirly well off to RHS & a line of birds on cradles across the front.By 10 it had clouded over & the sun no longer a problem but as you will see on the video on sister site I had to clear a killing zone out in front as they were starting to skirt the pattern well out in front by mid morning.

JC returned about 1ish & said he had put off 7-800 from one drilled field!Had to pack up at 3pm to get back home to take Mrs. PBUTD to after-wedding do, so had no time to move & set up on drillings.Never know if I made the wrong decision?

005_zpskst70gnt.jpg