pheasants with airgun

Joshcup11

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

assuming your talking about the "ushering out of my house" that would be because of MY opinion on the matter. Nothing else I personally don't see it sporting enough. I will pm you and have a full length discussion into why I don't think its acceptable but it's just my opinion. I'm sure you have opinions on things to which others don't agree.

that is the whole point really Josh

its the difference between hunting and sporting shooting.

the driven shooter for example wants well presented birds for his enjoyment, (nothing wrong with that by the way, if that's your thing)

the hunter has a different perspective in as much as generally they are shooting for the pot, or as pest control, when quite frankly they are looking for the easiest of shots, not seeing a bird in the crosshairs and thinking oh dear surely that's not sporting if im not testing myself

im sure the guys doing pest control on foxes etc on the game shoots don't look for sporting shots on their intended quarry

so why should an air gunner on a pheasant? or any other suitable rifle?

23.12.2013_zpsnsucinos.jpg

Edited by belly47

Is this a shooting debate or a class war I'll ref this one as I only shoot clays even they get away wounded

Nothing wrong with taking a phesant with an air rifle my son could I couldn't

What I debate is shooters ability I very highly doubt that many air rifle shooters are half as good a shot as they claim there in lies your problem

My 16 yo son can shoot the gonads off a flea at 25 meters which we have measured and his gun is (sorry my gun that he uses)zeroed at if you're going to the lengths of dressing head to toe like chris ryan on duty then I doubt you're going to get a tape measure out

But like I said there's nothing wrong with it if you can shoot it sweet

Ps I do have a little giggle at the lord of the manor types in head to toe tweed when I see them at clay shoots

But then I also laugh at the sas when they are out in force at shoots and shows

Edited by jonny thomas

A 16 year old lad, new to the sport and eager to learn asks a question about a slightly controversial aspect of the sport, and seeks the opions and views of others. For his trouble, he gets near cruicified in a massive tantrum/over reaction. EVO, I agree with a lot of what you say and it's clear you are a knowledgeable and experienced airgunner. It would be more befitting that knowledge and experience if you tried to pass on some of it with a little more patience and good grace.

I'd like to see how far this thread would get on the airgunbbs forum.

Pheasants with an Airgun,

Hares with an Airgun.

And even, Whats the Best Airgun to kill Cats with? Are first (young) posters questions.

GaryC, I think his name was, Moderater, would crucify and then ban them!

No mercy over there!

Just to make it clear to all, it may of come across as i was having a dig at those who shoot phesants with an airgun. If you have been asked to rid them of a pest then fair enough, afterall its a job. Its just in my opinion and something I wouldnt do,was just looking for other peoples perspectives and bloody hell i got them! I agree with the subject ofthe hunter and the sportsman, the hunter in me does shoot for the pot,but its only rabbtits and pigeons, i suspose its all down the person pulling the trigger.

Sorry if ive offended anyone.

Josh

Surely this comes down to knowing your shooting ability and shot placement. As Bitfitter said, "phessie won't care what he's been shot with"

It's too late to care as your brains suddenly pop out the other side of your head.

Good shot Evo :good:

Just to make it clear to all, it may of come across as i was having a dig at those who shoot phesants with an airgun. If you have been asked to rid them of a pest then fair enough, afterall its a job. Its just in my opinion and something I wouldnt do,was just looking for other peoples perspectives and bloody hell i got them! I agree with the subject ofthe hunter and the sportsman, the hunter in me does shoot for the pot,but its only rabbtits and pigeons, i suspose its all down the person pulling the trigger.

Sorry if ive offended anyone.

Josh

fair play to you Josh

you don't need to apologise for having an opinion

I don't think you have offended anyone and for a 16 yr old you compose a good post and have reason beyond your years IMO,

we are all different and view shooting in different ways, no one person is wrong or right.

keep shooting, keep learning, and have fun!

Edited by belly47

A 16 year old lad, new to the sport and eager to learn asks a question about a slightly controversial aspect of the sport, and seeks the opions and views of others. For his trouble, he gets near cruicified in a massive tantrum/over reaction. EVO, I agree with a lot of what you say and it's clear you are a knowledgeable and experienced airgunner. It would be more befitting that knowledge and experience if you tried to pass on some of it with a little more patience and good grace.

blunderbuss,,,, firstly I didn,t know how old he was,,secondly even now I do know how old he is , it does not deter me from clearly stating what I have said. 16 or 60 I would still have the same view,

also if you read his posts you will see that what he wrote was and I quote

" if someone was to come and buy one of my guns and say it was for shooting phesants i would usher them out of my house using a wide range of vocabulary!Appauling! "

does that sound like a sixteen year old to you ???

firstly you have to be at least 18 yrs of age to buy an air rifle,,secondly he stated HIS HOUSE to BUY ONE OF HIS GUNS,,,now I,m sorry mate but that didn't read how a 16 yr old now would it,

did he mean if someone came to mum and dads house to buy one of my dad,s guns, I think HE would Usher them,,

so sorry bud you are talking bull, and now I DO KNOW just how old he is then I am more adamant that what I said was correct to say,

he also stated he goes out 5 nights a week and all day Saturday,,

this is not legally allowed with a 16yr old unless supervised with an ADULT by his side,

so NO I didn't give a new member grief and also I don't see it as a controversial aspect of our sport,,its perfectly legal so I will continue to do it,,

on another note , I think daddy needs to speak with josh and tell him what you can and cant do with a gun, "his dads guns" as he is not legally old enough to shoot one on his own

also he has not once mentioned he shoots with anyone also

many thanks Evo

ps josh thanks for the pm,,but no need to apologise

atb Evo

Edited by evo

Correct me if im wrong but im almost certain after speaking to my local firearms officer that i can legally use an air rifle with a muzzle velocity of sub 12ft lb on private land with the land owners permision!? And as for holding a full SGC its the same with that, or am i once again wrong!?

And again im fairly certain you can be gifted an air rifle at 16. But cannnot buy one or the ammunition until your 18?

Yes maybe some of my previous comments made me sound like a homeowner etc but i was in a rush to get my point accross and didnt have time to explain my life as i have "self centred" replies to write.

So Evo, in the upmost respect maybe if you had researched the age requirements before accusing me of lying you would also of read this in the Air rifle code of conduct "All birds are protected, and although there are seasons when you can legally shoot game, and some wildfowl, they are not suitable quarry for air rifles." Once again, each to there own opinion, its not like Basc are a very important voice in the sport of shooting anyway,oh wait.

with a title like that? really? This is classic airgun argument fodder! It's right up there with 'what's the maximum range an airgun will kill at?'

I wasnt. I just wanted other peoples opinions on the subject. To see if anyone agrees with my comments of which im sure someone out there will.

Josh