If you haven't got dead birds on a rotary

Ira

Hyperflaps or proflaps,I had both couldn't decide which was best both pulled the birds in.I sold them on as I found myself swapping them round too much.I always keep at least a dozen frozen birds just pack the in the freezer neat & tidy ( wrap individually in news paper or bubble wrap)& you'll get a few outings out with them.I always take 6 out 2 for the rotary & 4 for the bouncers.

Nothing like a real pigeon on the magnet

Edited by Davyo

Pigeons will only come out of the freezer tatty if they are put in tatty.

I always select two of the best looking birds without broken wings and store them separately in a side compartment of my freezer , I use them about 3 times and then replace them.

I am yet to find a artificial alternative I would be happy to use.

Must admit I haven't yet had really good bags so the best ones usually get eaten, by me, sometimes I just don't get enough to freeze any so I was hoping for a good alternative to real birds!! One day I will crack it and my freezer will have quality feathered decoys in it!!

Everything I have read, not practiced, as I am new to this suggests using the best birds on the rotary, I must admit Ive tried putting some ratty ones out and they do look ****, If I were a pigeon and saw one I would think twice, especially when you see what a splendid bird they are.

Everything I have read, not practiced, as I am new to this suggests using the best birds on the rotary, I must admit Ive tried putting some ratty ones out and they do look ****, If I were a pigeon and saw one I would think twice, especially when you see what a splendid bird they are.

I don't know where you might have read that, but think about this; a tatty looking dead bird will still look more realistic than any decoy. I have had many a good day, starting with only the most horrible and stinky dead birds as decoys.

I honestly don't care how ropey my magnet birds get, it's only the smell that makes me throw them after a while. I only need to keep two dead birds to get the ball rolling, and they are kept in the fridge, therefore keeping better than a bird frozen and thawed a few times.

Another point for you to consider. If you just eat the breast meat, save the carcass of your pigeon afterwards. Don't worry, the pigeons won't be able to tell that it's breasts have been removed!

Ah I've wondered about that Motty, the birds don't look at the breast on the magnet do they, it would also make the decoys lighter and the thing would go round better/longer so everyones a winner, except the pigeon as long as I can shoot straight?!!

I've adapted two bouncers. A hole up the backside to take the rotary arm and a wing spreader cable tied to the rear to tighten it to the arm. Seems to work ok. I replace them with the real thing as soon as available.

I do not freeze dead birds. My access to our fridge for sporting purposes was denied many years ago when a discretely secreted tub of maggots was found by my social secretary!!

I don't know where you might have read that, but think about this; a tatty looking dead bird will still look more realistic than any decoy. I have had many a good day, starting with only the most horrible and stinky dead birds as decoys.

I honestly don't care how ropey my magnet birds get, it's only the smell that makes me throw them after a while. I only need to keep two dead birds to get the ball rolling, and they are kept in the fridge, therefore keeping better than a bird frozen and thawed a few times.

Another point for you to consider. If you just eat the breast meat, save the carcass of your pigeon afterwards. Don't worry, the pigeons won't be able to tell that it's breasts have been removed!

Totally agree I don,t use artificial decoys at all. I just start off with two dead birds saved from the previous outing and put them on whirly or cradles floaters flappers or whatever the pigeons react to best on the day. Every day / crop is different so experiment until you get it right.

Top advice that!

Thanks for all the advice, I decided to pop down to the farm wood the other evening, couple of shots and they usually all divert to a neighbouring, bigger, wood. Any way got two fine pigeons speically for the rotary, carefully stored in tip top condition, will always try and keep a few like that from now on. The best bit was one was a cracking shot and the young (nearly two) black lab bitch was right on it and right back, lovely!

I use dried "preserved" pigeons on the magnet. They last a year if you look after them....nearly as good as fresh birds but benefit from been much lighter..better for the magnet battery and better when carting the gear across a field. (Preserve with a salt called borate - will do a DIY thread on it sometime!)