motorbikes?

martindd

Eldest son last week bought a brand new Chinese 125cc motorbike against my advice ( but got 2 years parts and labour warranty, on a positive)

No one in our family has ever been into them and I've only even ridden a 125 quad I used to knock about on and I know diddly squat about them.

And for some reason I can't stop thinking I want one? Started looking at honda cbr600s and for the first time in my life I want one.

I know I'll need to pass the CBT test , can any tell me what the other tests are and an idea of costs please? As this may stop me in my tracks as I'm skint and would be looking for something old.

I'm planning on convincing ghe Mrs it'll save a fortune commuting ☺

Any advice appreciated guys.

Martin

Yep plenty of advice don't do it, it's not cheap and it's dangerous. Too many motorists don't see cars never mind bikes.

Bloke I work with is currently doing his bike test to ride bigger than a 600 after passing and has already spent a small fortune on safety gear and lessons, not even bought a bike yet.

Edited by figgy

Doubt that you will save any money-quite the opposite, a modern 600 will not use any less fuel than a standard hatchback and running costs are far higher with servicing and tyres-only buy cheap if you don't value your life. A CBT I seem to remember can be passed for under £100 but then you need theory before you even begin to consider the headache of getting insurance on a 600 as a first bike. Get yourself passed then buy something like a 250 that you can run into the ground before parking your butt on a modern jap plastic rocket-save you a few pounds but, far more worthwhile, it might save your life. Bin riding over 30 years and last Thursday I pulled out onto the main road 200 yards from my house-a fraction too much throttle and a spot of diesel on the road has smashed up my right arm and , most likely, written off my pride and joy.

Edited by bruno22rf

You need Cbt theory and mod1 and2 on big bike over 40 kW for direct access then u can ride any size bike, you will save a fortune on commuting until you start taking the long wAy home forget Chinese imports ( would you buy a Chinese shotgun or rifle?) Cost about £700 here in London for Cbt and 4 days training. If you local, London Kent Surrey sussex read my previous posts exchange bike training for shooting

ATB

Throttlemonkey

Just been reading the above comments and agree with it all :) I sold the idea of me getting a bike to my Mrs 16yrs ago on the it'll be a cheap commute idea and I dread to think how much I`ve spent over the years !. Its very addictive and I love it but in the same breath road riding scares me nowadays (I think ever since my kids were born my mindset has changed plus losing 2 mates last year in an accident didn`t help). I have just a couple of hours ago this eve sold my road R1 but still have in the garage a GSXR 1000 K6 for the track but now its far from a cheap commute and more an expensive hobby :yes:

The main problem with becoming a biker is wearing the leather power rangers outfit and walking round in summer looking like you've filled your nappy sweating your nads off.

As your confidence grows you'll want to get your knee down.

If it's just for commuting and to keep costs down get a 250cc or 400cc scooter.

CBT, theory test and bike test. As a newbie though you'd be better off doing one of the intensive courses (about £500). Bikes are as safe as YOU make them. Don't let the naysayers put you off. If it was THAT dangerous in this namby pamby country, they'd be banned altogether.

Edited by walshie

CBT, theory test and bike test. As a newbie though you'd be better off doing one of the intensive courses (about £500). Bikes are as safe as YOU make them. Don't let the naysayers put you off. If it was THAT dangerous in this namby pamby country, they'd be banned altogether.

Totally agree the more training the better, I think most police forces offer the bike safe course http://www.bikesafe.co.uk/ and Kent fire service (not sure about other fire services) offer ride skill days http://www.msvtrackdays.com/bike/calendar/2015/april/08-bh-kfrs.aspx a few of mates have done the fire service days and rate them.

Totally agree the more training the better, I think most police forces offer the bike safe course http://www.bikesafe.co.uk/ and Kent fire service (not sure about other fire services) offer ride skill days http://www.msvtrackdays.com/bike/calendar/2015/april/08-bh-kfrs.aspx a few of mates have done the fire service days and rate them.

I've been riding for 30 odd years but I went on a bikesafe course a few years ago just to brush up. My wife has been on 2. One rural, and one urban. You can never have enough training on a bike. :good:

Eldest son last week bought a brand new Chinese 125cc motorbike against my advice ( but got 2 years parts and labour warranty, on a positive)

No one in our family has ever been into them and I've only even ridden a 125 quad I used to knock about on and I know diddly squat about them.

And for some reason I can't stop thinking I want one? Started looking at honda cbr600s and for the first time in my life I want one.

I know I'll need to pass the CBT test , can any tell me what the other tests are and an idea of costs please? As this may stop me in my tracks as I'm skint and would be looking for something old.

I'm planning on convincing ghe Mrs it'll save a fortune commuting ☺

Any advice appreciated guys.

Martin

hi martin all I can say is go and see john at bike school he is a good guy and not far from us

http://www.bikeskool.co.uk/

"I've been riding for 30 odd years but I went on a bikesafe course a few years ago just to brush up. My wife has been on 2. One rural, and one urban. You can never have enough training on a bike. good.gif.pagespeed.ce.PoYRIVsMjL.gif"

Too true,unfortunately Northumbria Police not only do not run bikesafe courses they disbanded their motorcycle section owing to alleged safety worries http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/northumbria-police-axe-bikes-over-1454353