motorbikes?

martindd

Once it's in your blood you can't get rid of it.... At one point I had two bikes and no car, I used to ride them in the snow.... And they were sports bikes... Yes I was a fool... Now I have two beautiful children who are both under 5 so due to idiots who don't know how to drive I don't ride on the road any more I just do track days.... God it's a buzz..

Tedly

I have an R1150GS, big and tall so I can see and be seen, still have a few near events a year but like others say the training now is so good that it can't stop things happening but can give you strategies and techniques to keep you unsplattered.

There is an obvious element of risk but at the moment I'm happy for the feeling it gives me.

I save no money over a small car but I do my commute in half the time owing to the lovely A38 with its miles of dual carriageway car park which is perfect for filtering.

Well update is son's come off it, he's okay not got the full story yet.

Simple rule. If you have a bike, you will come off it at some point. It might be your fault or some other idiots but sooner or later you`re going for a bounce along the tarmac. I`ve had a bike and know lots of other riders, every single one has come off at some point.

That`s not to say you shouldn`t get one :D. They`re brilliant fun and a serious adrenaline rush. If you`ve only ever driven cars the acceleration on even a 600 will absolutely blow your mind.

I have a three wheeler same as my avitar photo.A few times I think the extra front wheel has saved me (diesel,gravel.ect)

It;s 500cc and will just about do the ton.

there a Peugeot on in the shop near me where son bought his from, you can ride it on a car license.

looked good

just get one ,once you have ,you will either love em or it will scare the **** out of you ,that said they only go as fast as you twist your wrist.

and they are dangerous ,and like has been said you will prob ,have your *** on the tarmac at some point.

but they are a buzz ,and would not be with out one ,have had lots in my time ,but do like my twins.

just be careful and ride with in your limits, have been riding 28 yrs ,have lost 2 mates in that time ,both was there thought going to fast.

Eldest son last week bought a brand new Chinese 125cc motorbike against my advice ( but got 2 years parts and labour warranty, on a positive)

No one in our family has ever been into them and I've only even ridden a 125 quad I used to knock about on and I know diddly squat about them.

And for some reason I can't stop thinking I want one? Started looking at honda cbr600s and for the first time in my life I want one.

I know I'll need to pass the CBT test , can any tell me what the other tests are and an idea of costs please? As this may stop me in my tracks as I'm skint and would be looking for something old.

I'm planning on convincing ghe Mrs it'll save a fortune commuting ☺

Any advice appreciated guys.

Martin

I passed for full motorcycle in the late 70,s so had quite a few bikes over the years , currently have a Yamaha FZ1 bought new in 07 and a 1973 Honda CB175 , love being on them done quite a bit of touring over the years but did make sure that I did not own one whilst our boys were young , despite that my youngest boy (28 ) has done all his tests at a cost of around £500 on direct access (basically means no size limit ) about 5 years back and since then has had 5 bikes , it can be dangerous so it means you cant relax your concentration but its exhilarating ,exciting and very rewarding , my FZ1 does around 160 mph 0-60 in well under 4 secs and around 45 mpg , when I use to tour with mate we would travel 200-300 miles a day or more , camp at bike events or just tour areas we wanted to see such as Bovinton tank museum and lots more .

Costs of insurance vary widely depending on age and location , for my bike in city location up to 25 with no motorcycle bonus can be £2000 -£2500 p.a. , I paid under £200 last year with full bonus ,therefore if you just starting think small up to 250cc for few years easier to handle too .

CBT, theory test and bike test. As a newbie though you'd be better off doing one of the intensive courses (about £500). Bikes are as safe as YOU make them. Don't let the naysayers put you off. If it was THAT dangerous in this namby pamby country, they'd be banned altogether.

spot on :good:

i rode a bike to work from being 16 to 24 back then it was cheap to be fair unless you get a 125 or a scooter then modern bikes do return worse MPG than modern cars.

some real tosh written on this thread usually from people who have never ridden a bike, i have 30+ years biking and i have to say its brought me immense pleasere and life long friendships, there is something about motorcycling that builds a camaraderie like no other pastime, as soon as you pullout the bike and pull on your gear the troubles of the world just lift its a great way to get away from day to day pressure its so rewarding being at one with the road and the world around, you can look forward to holidays that will be among the best of your life, take your other half out with you better still do test together.

Edited by chrisjh

funny how people think bikes are so dangerous.

over her lifetime (80+ years) My mother in law lost -

Her husband in a car accident

Her brother on a bike

A cousin in a plane crash

and swmbo is in a wheelchair because of a horse riding accident

but she only considered motorbikes to be dangerous

Can you afford to fall off? There are two types of bikers, those that have fallen off and those who are waiting to fall off. I've ridden plenty of miles on bikes and have been off a few times, the last time was when the auxiliary fuel tap prised up my knee cap. Couldn't ride one now, I've got a company to run and a family to feed, neither dave or ed will help me get up if I put a bike down the road. This comment doesn't help when you've got a young son out there on a bike and he's late coming home. Sorry.

i think it cost me around 500 quid for cbt and direct access, took about 2 months from having never ridden to full licence, 350 quid for a hemlet but you can get them cheaper it's that i have a very large skull 200 quid for jacket and trousers then i paid 2000 for a vfr800 and i think the insurance was 400 quid for the year which gobsmacked me since my car insurance was 1700 with 7 years no claims at the same time (god bless living in liverpool) only kept the bike for a few years sold it last year and regret getting rid

well one of the lads I know is over 25st and he is riding a yam r125 lol it looks quite funny like a gorilla riding a monkey bike

will second this i had a go of a mates r125 and coped with me on it fine (6"7 24 stone) but you might want something a little bigger for comfort, at the end of the day it doesn't matter how big the engine, its how much you open it up youll find it easy to balance at the lower speeds on a bigger bike