What shooting truck should I buy ?

Patrick1964

I'm in need of a vehicle for shooting / dog carrying / tip duties and have a maximum budget of around £6500. If I spend anything like this much then it's got to be pretty much depreciation free, so at this end of the budget I'm thinking a Defender 90 TDi. However, I could bank most of the money and spend £1500 on something else (L200 ?). I have a daily driver so this is just a weekend truck. The vehicle will do about 3000 miles a year and needs to be reliable and off road capable (more so than an X-Trail) What would you buy ? but just as important is why you would recommend them over the other options please.

Edited by Patrick1964

Ive had in my time most of the 4x4 trucks , double cabs landys etc .. The most reliable , go anywhere , carry anything , tow anything one by far is the Toyota hilux .I was trying to buy a single cab hilux truck this week just for the shoot as a work horse , something the keepers will use and very much abuse on the estate ..theres a 1986 single cab on ebay , nearly 30years old that they want 2500 for .I found one 2004 that cost £3200 , with 120000 miles on , drives superb etc . £6500 will get you a tidy double cab that wont loose you much over a few years if you look after it ...Landrovers may do the job if your only using it weekends that will give the mechanics all week to repair it ready for the following weekend ... :whistling:

Where pickups win is road tax if you are buying a newer model. Your budget would get a new shape l200 will do 30 plus mpg and comfortable enough to use whenever you want. Pretty reasonable off road, great for lamping and dogs wise well they aren't in with you which when wet and smelly is a huge bonus.

Otherwise the landrover will be a project and if you use it maintenance will make up for the lack of depreciation!

I may have been lucky but I had a 300 tdi defender for around 4 years and nothing went wrong with it and I even made some money on it.

I found the most annoying thing was constantly being slightly nervous that some low life would pinch it.

If I could outright afford it I think i would probably always have a defender as a second car just because no other cars make you feel quite the same.

Having said that i would have hated the thing if it had broken down all the time. Lots of research, spending the right money on one and then pot luck seem to be required.

I can't think of another car of the type you're looking for that are quite so depreciation resistant and don't lose massive value if you bump them a bit.

Happy shopping!

defender td5

+ good offroad

+28-31 mpg

+ holds value(could be investment as stop production soon)

+ no plastic panels.

+ parts cost and availability good.

- more of tractor than a road vehicle

- yes maint issues but if you service it less so ,and at only 3000mls per year if you get a genuine vehicle should be good to go.

jap 4x4 better on road more comfort all good but they do still require maint and spares don't believe the folk who say they never have problems with them trust me they do .worked in the motor trade for more years than I like to remember.all only my opinion

I have a 1986 ex military 90. I've had her for eight years. She is still worth almost what I paid for her.

She's never let me down.

Do about the same mileage you are going to.

mines an 1988 county...had it for 9 years has never failed to start and has never broken down................landrovers are ok ....you just need to maintain them...oil water and power wash once a month..........and dont thrash them like a car cause they are not a car...they are a tool.......

1998 Defender 90 300 TDI diesel. No computer to screw the electrics up.

Tuff as old boots. Wash em out with a hose pipe inside and out if you don't get the posh carpeted version.

Mines the Wolf XD which is over your budget, but plenty non military about.

Drive with a smile on your face.

Also it has air conditioning, you just open the front flaps.

In NATO green its a mobile hide. :)

what these LR owners arent telling you is that landrovers are bloody horrible to drive! I wanted one until a mate lent me his for a week, I soon went off the idea after that and got a hilux.

pasty if you read my post I do make the point that they are not as comfortable and are tractor like :rolleyes: . wondered when it would turn into hate LR thread :lol: It's not LR fault that you ain't got the pluck to drive one ;) Hilux are good :good:

Edited by scutt

pasty if you read my post I do make the point that they are not as comfortable and are tractor like :rolleyes: . wondered when it would turn into hate LR thread :lol: It's not LR fault that you ain't got the pluck to drive one ;) Hilux are good :good:

My tractor is more comfortable than a defender of the same age :lol:

Toyota hilux is the only sensible choice.got to be the most reliable truck on the market.i have owned all the models through the years never had a problem with any of them.i change them once they get to around 250k.i have owned land rovers discovery's and range rovers.but now I never consider anything other than Toyota.

Thanks all, I've bought a 96 Hilux for buttons. Having driven round our shoot in my X-trail today I'm convinced I've done the right thing. I know a Defender would be "cool" but I'll bank the difference or spend it on shooting and at least I can laugh when I bend the Hilux.

Defender 90. I have a 22 year old 200 TDi, owned for it 19 years and done almost 100,000 miles.

Upsides : Been 100% reliable other than a clutch, some suspension rubbers, starter and indicator flasher, which isn't bad for that age. No welding, 100% MoT passes. Larger Allard intercooler and tweaked injection pump gives 27 mpg average, 30 mpg on a run and 70 mph cruise on 7.50 tyres. No depreciation to speak of. Just about comfortable if you are not too tall or big. Unbeatable off road. Freedom from troublesome electronics like ABS etc.

Downsides : Dreaded Lucas electrics and noisy - only partly solved by extensive soundproofing. Road handling needs some care by modern standards. Heating, wipers etc very basic indeed. Water always leaks in.

Edited by JohnfromUK

similar to my 21 year old hilux but everything on it is still original bar an anti roll bar drop link I snapped when doing some paris to dakar type driving, yet its very comfortable, doesnt leak. isnt noisey, handles fine, is warm ;) and even cool in the summer with the AC!

Drove the Surf back from Bradford to Denbigh last night in torrential rain and very high winds, not ideal...home safely and initial impressions are good. Car drove well, will have a good look round today and see if it needs anything.

Probably more diesel!