Species identification

storm in a teacup

As good as books, DVDs, Youtube etc are they cannot replicate birds in their natural environment, especially in flight. A few visits to a well stocked reserve is well worth the effort and entrance fee. Things have moved on now but a few years ago all GWA ID training was carried out at Slimbridge WWT Centre.

As Reabrook says, get down to the local reserves or reserviours, anywhere with many species of duck and waders, go down the marsh out of season.

Alot of wildfowling is done in poor light conditions and then you can start to recognise ducks by the shape and by the wing beats.

The way different ducks fly with allow you to identitfy species but most importantly non quarry types. Like Shelduck and mallard, shelduck flap slowly, Mallard much more rapidly appearing desperate.

That's how I do it and I can identify birds from far off, but I did always birdwatch when I was younger.

This is quite an interesting site. Unfortunately it doesn't have video of many of the duck species. However when first starting many people tend to concentrate on what they can shoot. It's equally as important to be able to recognise what you can't shoot especially in poor conditions. Shelduck, Cormorant and Curlew etc do excellent first light impressions of quarry species!

http://www.bto.org/about-birds/bird-id/grey-geese

that is a really eclectic mix of WWII aircraft, some pretty onbscure planes.

although I can claim to have seen a Fairey Swordfish over the foreshore none of the others have ever been sighted whilst out on the marsh.

Edited by scolopax