Stock treatment

ilovemyheckler

Think it depends on its age?

I think linseed oil is pretty universal though (I'm sure someone will correct me), I use it occasionally but it takes about a week to dry. Make sure stocks clean and kinda buff it like when you apply car polish - an ongoing circular motion but moving around obviously, until you've got a nice even coat and it looks good. Carefully place in cabinet without touching it or it touching/resting against anything and forget about it until the next outing. Wipe off of metalwork carefully first though.

I've also used french polish which really works nice but a lot more effort.

Philips English Walnut Oil Preparation, about £6.90 from Ebay. Wonderful results after about 6 or 7 applications. If your stock is is unlaquered, just a fine sanding with 00 or 000 wire wool

then just rub in by hand. Will dareken the stock slightly.

Good stuff!

if it is lacqured it will look like it,s flaking around any damaged part a bit like see through glue when it is dried . if it is oiled their are places t will look like it is lighter where the oil has worn away giving the look of bleaching , lacqure is a glossy type finish where oil is a sheen Finnish ether way if you are going to or want to oil the stock with a good wire wool taking the surface off ( and take your time ) you can apply the oil and it will be fine . remember if using boiled linseed oil apply with your hand as the heat from your hand thins the oil allowing it to be worked in to the grain of the wood the minimum you should apply is 3 coats the first coat being quite thick allowing it to soak in for 30 min and then wipe off the excess , allow to dry in a warm place over night then second coat , allow to dry then third , you can put more on if you wish to bring the shine out but as a rule 3 is fine , remember to dispose of the lint cloth you use for wiping off away outside as when they dry they can combust on their own , hope this helps you some what