Torn between 3 guns

Ruster

Hi as per title I am looking at getting a 243 rifle I have narrowed it down to either a tikka T3 lite or varmint, a sako 85 or a sako A7, the feel/grip of the stock on both the sako guns is great ofc they have a great name behind them for quality but the tikka T3 seems to have a massive following.

I guess really what I am asking is the price difference worth it? If so why? just the cosmetics or something inside the really helps.

Budget isn't an issue really but I don't want to spend an extra £400-£600 just to say hey i shoot a sako

Thanks for any input

Edited by Ruster

Go for the Tikka mate, accurate and reliable, modern Sako's are overpriced compared to the Tikka. I had a Tikka M55 heavy barrelled treble two for years and use a Tikka T3 lite .223 now. The T3 has had over three thousand rounds through it and is still as accurate as new. Some will say Sako's actions are sized to the round chambered, big deal ! It makes no real difference and the Tikkas triggers are excellent. Just a tuppence worth. All the best

Reiver XXV

Thank you all for your replys, it seems like the tikka is most favoured really, my main worry with the tikka was would it leave me wishing I got a sako instead but if it still shoots and groups as well as a sako anyway really all I will miss is the nicer feel of the sako stocks, so it depends on if that nice soft stock will make me want to shell out more £££ or not on the day

Edited by Ruster

You don't mention your intended use but as its .243 I expect field work.

The difference between the two by way of accuracy/repeatability/reliability isn't worth taking about in those circumstances, frankly its hardly worth talking about at all anyway.

Up to you, but I'd save a few £ and buy a Tikka.

You may well know that Tikka is owned by Sako, but Beretta own them both! :good:

I really dont like the stuuuuuupid boltface on the 85 as it's prone to malfunction by design although this is somewhat calibre and brass dependant. Manufacturing standards and barrel quality is pretty much identical so go for the T3 if you want simple effective functionality. The A7 is ok and regardless, choose one with a decent rigid stock

What tends to be the problem with them?

So far my own 85 (.243) has been fine.

As for the OP's choice, I have a T3 Varmint .223 and the aforementioned Sako 85 and both are very good. Has to be down to personal choice and perhaps the chance to have a go if possible before purchase.

The extractor claw has a very weak hold on the rim of the case and if at all loose (brass varies), it slips down the boltface and off the claw so is left half in/out of the chamber when cycling the bolt. A normal push feed bolt like the T3 or A7 even (just two Beretta examples, there are many others), envelop the whole rim and do not allow this. let's face it, Sako did the hole `semi controlled feed bolt` to assuage the US Pre-64 lovers market. I have experienced this fault on other controlled feed actions with full length Mauser claws and can't see how Sako were arrogant enough to think they could avoid this potential problem.

The Sako is unfortunately quite well known for this, and I take your point and except the logic, but my T3 .223 bolt kept letting go of the spend cart half way out of the chamber, all down to the extractor claw spring being too strong, a lighter one fitted and fine ever since!

So problems can crop up anywhere!

:good: