Decent Day on Drillings/Rape

kippylawkid

The farmer where I keeper our small shoot had given me a major badger over pigeons on his rape. There are good numbers but have been virtually unshootable all winter. However, the combination of a westerly gale and a barley drilling next to the rape (they hadn't touched the barley) gave me a decent chance to get at them today. The rape is the other side of the strip of trees in the picture and the wind was at my back, facing the barley. The line was straight up the barley and they were hugging the ground in the gale. I started shooting at 1pm with 6 dead birds on cradles but they did not decoy well until I put the turbo flapper out and as other members have recently reported, the more decoys I had out - the better they decoyed. The sport was quality with large packs flaring on the wind. I concentrated on taking 1 bird but still managed some nice flaring doubles. Busiest spell was between 3-4pm. I had birds all over the field and picked up a very satisfying 47 at 5pm

post-305-0-82787800-1427574413_thumb.jpg

Edited by kippylawkid

It was a great day to be out. The wind made it as it channelled the birds into a specific area, but also made for testing shooting. I think PC and JDog have mentioned the vortex factor in high winds? Without the wind I don't think I'd have shot half the bag though.

Vortex factor?