Tragic Weekend

I write this weeks report with a heavy heart, We set out on Friday looking for drillings that needed to be shot to protect the future crop, I'd had a call telling me that they had drilled 75 acres of peas , zero peas and zero pigeons found small numbers on the rape and clover. Found a number of fields with drilled beans , no pigeons. We kept looking and just found small numbers By 14.00 we had covered ninety miles and found a good number on some clover we had looked at in the morning on the way out. As we drove down the field the whole flock just lifted off like a flock of starlings. So we set up with ten thawed birds on spikes and two on the magnet and waited for them to return. Within the first hour we had ten return and we thought that we had made a wrong move setting up. Between 15.00 and 18.00 we had steady sport and ended the day with eighty four birds. Looking forward to the next day and continued sport. After dropping off DB I continued home and sorted out the birds in the garage put the gear away and charged the batteries , had just finished my tea when DB phone to tell me that he had just taken the dogs dinner out to his kennel and he was curled up as if asleep but infact he had passed away. He was five and a half years old and showed no signs of distress during the day. I still find it difficult to understand why or how . DB obviously said that he would not be shooting Saturday as he had things to sort out.

Saturday saw me helping the wife with the horse and going to the tip with two dead freezers when I had a phone call from another PW Member asking me if I was out and if I'd found any birds. After telling him of the situation he immediately invited me to join him on some bean drilling. I arrived at the field at approx 12.20 and set up on some clover the birds were passing with the other shooter on the drilled beans. After setting up with the norm it was evident the birds were not interested with me on the clover so I moved to a field that was drilled last week but still had beans on the surface. The wind was side on and very strong. I shot till 17.30 and picked up sixty birds with some great challenging shots as the field had a large number of stock doves comming with the pigeons. The next few weeks will be very strange without our shooting partner. Thanks Ben for the invite.

e4edf38a-8e2d-4f83-a7cb-1b600fa81a05_zps

2e30b220-12ba-4e02-85ec-46d5499c3a37_zps

July2012010.jpg

" R.I.P. BLUE"

i simpythise with you both,very sad news,i lost my lab just before xmas and she has left a massive hole in the family,it will be very strange seeing the pics without the dog in them,but im sure you will have many happy memories of your outings together