Miroku MK 70

robdab

Guest Mick.j

All Miroku's are good guns and they do a range to suit different types of shooting.

Also Beretta do another good range of guns.

Try a few before you buy a gun, as they are all different to use.

My choice would be an MK38.

Hi, I bought mine second hand but in a1condition and then spent £50 on getting it to fit me and 6 years later I still use it for everything from game,vermin to clays. It's been very reliable and never gave me any trouble so yeah I'd recommend one.

Hope this helps Richard.

Hi chaps thanks for the positive comments it sounds miroku is a good brand especially for the money being asked its only a little dearer than a brand new bettinsoli diamond which has mixed reviews . So going on this I think most of you would agree it's probably better to get a good second hand gun rather than a new budget gun I'm a newcomer to all this so pardon me for basic questions

The MK70 is identical in everything except engraving to the Browning 425. It's rugged, reliable, durable and fairly well made. A good all rounder but I'd say make sure it's got 30" barrels.

30" barrels are just a fad at the moment. Donks ago in the black powder era it was 32 > 34 then it all went down to the churchill 25 then to 26 and for a long time it was 28 but now it is 30. As long as the gun fits you nd you feel happy with it then it doesn't matter what length the barells are just put the lead on the target and the stuff will fall down.

30" barrels are just a fad at the moment. Donks ago in the black powder era it was 32 > 34 then it all went down to the churchill 25 then to 26 and for a long time it was 28 but now it is 30. As long as the gun fits you nd you feel happy with it then it doesn't matter what length the barells are just put the lead on the target and the stuff will fall down.

+1

Barrel lengths tend to go in fashions. It helps sell new guns. The vast majority of average shooters can do OK with most lengths. If you are at the very top of the sport, then minor gun differences, cartridge differences etc can make the critical difference of a fraction 'better' in a competition - but for most of us - its the shooter, or shooter to gun fit, not the gun itself that is at fault in misses

With all due respect the 'fashion' for 30" (and longer) barrels on sporting O/Us has been around for many years and isn't going away in our lifetime. I'm not saying 28" is no good, but for clays in particular, 30" is usually better whilst for some 32" is better still and the reason for buying them is rarely fashion.

With all due respect the 'fashion' for 30" (and longer) barrels on sporting O/Us has been around for many years and isn't going away in our lifetime. I'm not saying 28" is no good, but for clays in particular, 30" is usually better whilst for some 32" is better still and the reason for buying them is rarely fashion.

im inclined to agree with that statement.

you dont see many trap shooters using a gun with 28 inch barrels. 30's and 32's are the norm.

i tend to go for longer barrels as im a hefty chunk of a bloke, and short barrelled guns look and feel silly with me. i shoot much better with 32 inch barrels to.

that being said, i do own a 24 inch barreled semi auto for use in the hide... doesnt get snagged up as easy and is very fast!

I find the length of the barrels depends on the gun weight overall and hence the point of balance feels different , I have guns in various gauges and various barrel lengths but have always shot best with the gun I like using the most at any given time , If I feel good I don't mind using one of my 12,s if I just want wander round the roughshoot for hour or two I take a small gauge , if I had to choose one it would likely be a tossup between my Winchester 101 supergrade 12 gauge or my 20 gauge Browning .

I don't disagree that 30" suits a lot of people well. But for the original poster interested in a Miroku Mk70, I would look at 28" just as favourably as 30". Natural fit is (i.e. right length, pitch, cast and drop) are FAR more important than a particular barrel length. What I do believe is that there is (or at least has in the past been) a strong fashion element.

My apologies for going a bit off topic below, but,

I have been shooting a fair while - and have seen 26" and 27" favoured for skeet guns, 30" and occasionally 32", for trap, with 28" or 30" for sporting. I have also read enough shooting history to know that pre war - there was a fashion for very light 25" barrelled guns for game. Many were made - and often replaced older 30" barrelled guns because the owner was convinced then that the modern powders didn't 'need' the long barrel and the fast handling of the 25" would be a positive advantage. Such guns are now very much 'out of fashion'. My point is that for the vast majority of 'standard' shooters - I very much doubt if the barrel length of 28" or 30" will make much difference. The Miroku is a good gun, well balanced and I suspect the makers will ensure that the balance is pretty good whatever the barrel length fitted.

I have both 30" (Beretta) and 28" (Beretta and Merkel) o/u guns and s/s guns in 26.5", 28" and 30". I prefer the 28" in both o/u and s/s, but 30" 'works' just as well. I have not got on well with shorter barrels, but only tried them occasionally and I suspect other 'lack of fit' issues may have been bigger players. I have not tried longer barrels.