squirrel drey poking

Ey up pigeonwatchers,

Was out the other day with dead eyed duck for our annual assault on the squizzes.

Don and i are shooting today with dons brother acting as chief poker outerer. The idea being that with don and i each side of the tree and den stirring up the dreys to evict said squizzes with a set of lofting poles

So the day dawned clear and bright, don had brought faithful hound for steadiness training amongst the shooting. And without much more ado we were off. It didnt take long to start spotting dreys and evicting the squizzes.

Our method was working well with approx 50% of the dreys being occupied. We approached a veritable fort knox in one tree, don and i take up position and den sets to work with the lofting poles when whoosh an airborne squiz lands at dons feet..........boom.....................followed by another airborne squiz..............boom...... dons brother is really stirring em up now and evicts a 3rd that lands at dons feet and scampers off......followed by boom!! as i approached to offer congratulations don is looking distinctly sheepish!!!!!!!!!!!!! yep you guessed it 3 clean misses. At least bella was doing her job

P1000850.jpg

After this little lot time for a spot of lunch, so out with the stove and sausages are soon sizzling in the pan, washed down with dons glutinous coffee.

I think the most memorable shot of the day was when, just as the lofting poles went into a drey out popped a huge squirrel that commenced chattering and screeching and jumping up and down on the branch at us, til i shot him.

whilst moving to the next patch of woodland i spotted a squirrel in a tree, so we piled out of the car and set off in hot pursuit. When we got the tree a huge mature oak with branches growing everywhere it had done a vanishing act. We tried the usual trick of a person each side of the tree and moving round but to no avail. Don spotted a few twigs and leaves in the crook of a branch and fires at it as the debris flies into the air so does the missing squiz.

At the end of the day we had done ok. We had bagged this little lot.

P1000852.jpg

The one thing that be guaranteed from a post by Gonna is the lies, damned lies and untruths that he tells about other peoples shooting prowess.

Although he was correct about the Mike Tyson squizz that was distinctly unhappy about being woken up from his cosy drey. His 3.5" semi auto did just about nail it at 20' range. If fact it took it backwards 10 feet before it fell.

A cracking day, and my hound behaved very well considering the temptations. Unlike his Labrador that didn't come as she is, er, not well steady... The last thing that she ate and stalked was a bag full of easter eggs, complete with packaging.

Right, lets get a few things straight mr quacky duck.

Your range estimation is as reliable as your shooting as the infamous raving squiz was max 10 feet up and was hurled back 20 feet by 32g of no6 through 1/4 choke.

With reference to china's easter indiscretion. That dog drives me nuts.............. though you have to admire her determination to remove all evidence of the crime by eating the packaging too............... your dog is too thick for that.

Bellas curly wurly hair is anything but au natural............ don spends hours and hours brushing, crimping, curling and straightening bellas hair.................and gets terribly upset if someone gives her dreads or a mohican......... Dont even get me started on her hide discipline................... she hasnt got any. If she isnt constantly allowed to stick her head outside the hide and scare every pigeon inside half a mile she is going nuts...... dons old dog did this and the common denominator between the two dogs is the useless owner. She constantly digs the soil up spraying it everywhere, drinks or knocks over the cups of tea and tries to distract china who is behaving impeccably and awaiting the slightest command from me. And as for her retrieving HA HA HA she goes steaming out......... mouths the pigeon a bit..throws it up in the air like a great white shark does to a seal........fetches it part way back BY A WING then spits it out 2 yards away, where the whole performance starts again if the bird is a runner which with dons shooting almost certainly is. Don has taught her all sorts of useless tricks like jumping through his arms......... lying down on command........... next will be sit up and beg.....will that dog stop to a stop whistle???????????????? no chance. The best you can hope for is a flounce of her head as she wafts her hair in the wind like those models in the shampoo adverts and i swear you can see it in her eyes ................. Cos i am worth it!

Nowt but a pampered preening princess.......She is a bit like one of those fashion models............ nice to look at but not capable of a days work as long as there is a hole in her Butt