Here's one for you!

Guest Wilksy

Guest Wilksy

Is it possible/ been done, that you could decoy a bare field that had been harrowed or even drilled but nowt showing, and basically trick them into thinking there's something to be had? Reason I ask is the farmer I shoot for only has two fields of rape and the rest is wheat, some showing, some drilled recently, the bare field is in clearer view of the flight line so I'm reckoning it's worth a punt!

Yes Wilksy, plenty of folk here have decoyed pigeons onto bare ploughing or grassland by intercepting a flightline to a crop that is unshootable for what ever reason. Even if they won't commit to decoys they should come close enough to look.

Try to set up as close to the line as possible.

The key to it is having a flightline which you have mentionred in your post.

Of course nothing is certain in pigeon shooting but what you describe is definately worth a try.

I have done it on a few occasions, this weekend just gone I set up on a bit of grassland on my permission that was intercepting pigeons flying to a bit of freshly cut maize cover about 500 yards away, when I set up I had 0 pigeons feeding on the grass and within 3 hours I had shot 16 pigeons

Guest Wilksy

Cheers Charlie! Would I be right in thinking as today (good Friday!) is a write off (raining all day) that the stoggies will be feeding well tomorrow?