Not cut out for this gamekeeping lark.

Nephew has returned from his travels and severely jet lagged so took him up to rough shoot for a spot of fresh air.

He was walking in front of me (I hadn't taken a gun) along disused railway and when he stopped to raise his gun I leaned out to see what he'd seen and saw a big stoat looking right at me and was just thinking how bonny it looked but before I could say anything he blew it about three yards along the banking, killing it instantly. It was a huge hob and easily as big as one of my jill ferrets, a handsome beast of a lad.

Great shame. I'm a great mustelid fan; love the little things. I killed one a lot of years ago and swore I'd never kill another; gorgeous little creatures.

I'm clearly not cut out for this gamekeeping lark; far too soft.

I like stoats and weasels too, brilliant little animals. Mind you I also like to see foxes, rabbits and pigeons. Having a gun doesn't mean you have to blast every allowed creature on sight. Shooting is sometimes used as pest control, sometimes used as a sport and sometimes used as a conservation tool to help balance out some of the one-sided pressures largely created by man.

I like stoats and weasels too, brilliant little animals. Mind you I also like to see foxes, rabbits and pigeons. Having a gun doesn't mean you have to blast every allowed creature on sight. Shooting is sometimes used as pest control, sometimes used as a sport and sometimes used as a conservation tool to help balance out some of the one-sided pressures largely created by man.

+1

• 1 month later...

Love to see any wildlife on my early morning dog walks apart from crows and magpies! For some strange reason they put my blood pressure up a few notches. I see a couple of foxes from time to time - could be the same one as only 200yds apart - in places where no keeperring/shooting occurs and this always lifts my spirit but not crows!