I'll work on your shoot for free if you teach me about it

Hi all,

I don't post a lot on here, but I spend a lot of time reading up and lurking on the forums. I was also given my first taste of pigeon shooting by a kind member not so long ago, although we didn't actually shoot anything between us that day.

I started out in shooting last year when I got interested in deer stalking, as I had no shooting background or friends/relatives I've relied on generous invitations and a few paid outings to gain experience. I'm learning as I go and enjoying every minute. Now have a .270 stalking rifle and room on the certificate for a .22 and .243 and SGC.

Anyway, I'm basically offering to help out on a shoot in return for somebody to teach me about it. An apprenticeship, if you like. With my work pattern I'm available quite a lot and willing to do whatever, feeding birds, building pens, checking traps. I just don't know anything about game shooting really, and I'd like to learn. I want to make it clear I am NOT looking for payment or to gain any shooting in exchange. I'm more looking to meet shooters and learn.

I have BASC insurance and a dog in training. When the season comes around I'll be happy to beat or, depending on the dog's training, pick up, again for free.

No strings, no catches, no bull. I'm willing and able to help with the physical work of running a shoot so that I can learn hands-on what's involved, because there's only so much understanding you can get from a book.

I live in Kidderminster but I don't mind a bit of traveling as long as it isn't miles and miles. My real job will obviously have to come first, but as I said, the shift pattern gives me a lot of free time.

A long shot, I know. Thanks in anticipation!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

A bump, now that the time is getting close for poults arriving.

Just to add to the original post as it's a little old, I do have a 4x4, I have tools, and my dog whilst occasionally a bit slow on the uptake is coming on nicely.

Again, I'm not looking for payment or for shooting in return for my time, I just want to learn about how a shoot is run.

Hi Simon,Right for what it is worth,Here I go:

First and most importantly Game keeping is a 24 hour Job.!.

You would be better off, Stop reading books,it does not help your situation..

Hands on experience is gained by darn hard work it cannot be gained from books.

Yours hands will be more like knarled tree trunks on your way, Poults can die a thousand times before ever reaching the guns..Get some Beating in on your local shoot<<<..

Then show how keen you are to work by talking to the keeper(Beat Keeper)..

It will appear you are after shooting,No matter how many times you tell them..

Keepers have saying,,it regards Monkeys,3 of them..

You will find it hard to break in as they require ABOVE ALL,(TRUST)..

Get as much under your belt work wise, Beating is always a good start..

Then try to get in another way,, Gamefarms require Bitting,Cleaning out,Boxing up,Delivering..

Did it with my lads doing 100,000 poults,Pheasants,Partridge,Even Chuckers then..5 Years<<<::

(Now outlawed here)... It is a very good Training Grounding..

When even now I Think of those Hot Dusty Sheds,I Break out in a Sweat..

So,,,To Begin your first bit of training look into as Local as you can get weekends are not your own for 3 months,,if it rains and the poults are out, Expect a call a 3am to get them in before they get cold and start dying as you pick them up,,it can be heart breaking if you get caught out..

It is damn hard work,,But if you want to learn its the only way to a Trusting Friend and Keeper..

Hope this Helps and doesn't Hinder,I went that way through trying to get my lads the same

Training,,As he could not Drive..Keeper now for 25 years..

Best of Luck in your Quest..Remember>>>>>>..3 WISE MONKEYS..=(Trust)..

Good Luck..

• 6 months later...

A bump...

Have gained myself some experience of beating this season but I'd still be keen on any additional hands on experience that I can get. Obviously the season is coming to an end soon, I imagine there are jobs that need doing before the next round.

I am absolutely willing to do dogsbody tasks, well accustomed to working outdoors in all weather, fit and able and NOT ASKING ANYTHING IN RETURN.

Work shifts with several days and half days off each week (I'm a support worker for children with special needs and challenging behaviour)

If you have been beating then you have found a shoot, this is where you should search. on that shoot or they will know shoots around them. just go and sit around the yard and wait for them to come back . you will soon be found something to do.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately you will find you get some unhelpful patronising comments from people who don't read your posts properly. Don't give up but getting to know people at first hand will probably get more results than using this forum. I remember looking for opportunities to learn about game keeping when I was a lad and I found a shoot where I volunteered for around 5 years, evenings after work and weekends. I learnt a lot but in the end realised I was being taken for granted and stopped. I'm sure you'll find someone genuine to take you under their wing and you sound like someone who will be very useful and trustworthy in return. If you can get beating on other shoots and offer your services you will soon get known and trusted by those worth knowing.